GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:46:03 -0500
Basil, Thanks again for such a brilliant piece, bit I think we should also adopt
bold intiatives like economic intergration with neighboring senegal and
Cassamance.

Not too long ago , Dr. Saine floated another idea, a Senegambian reunion. The
general reaction on the Gambia-L was indifference; either most of us cannot see
the possibility of such a re-union, and some of us believe that Gambia has
everything to loose. Another compelling possibility is that the Eighties
confederation attempt left us with disillusionment to the idea.

The new millenium needs a bold -creative initiative, policies and programs never
attempted since independence.  These are some of the relevant issues and questions
that needs to be faced head on:
A. Can the Gambia eliminate its economic woes and become a growing economy without
neighboring Senegal being part of the equation.
B. Is it economically realistic for such a small economy to pursue economic
programs that will create employment. Feed its people, bring access to clean
drinking water, descent shelter, access to relevant education and reasonable
healthcare.
C. Politics aside, what are the economic challenges to a Sene-Gambian-Cassamance
economic integration.

Economic realities on the ground:

It is an economic reality that  Panchang Anglais (village in Gambia) and Panchang
Francais (village in Senegal), and other surrounding Senegal and Gambian villages
have stronger economic ties to each other that to either Dakar or Banjul. The
weekly “Loomer” (Market trading places) brought a stronger economic relationship,
commerce and daily survival. Clearly, these villages share a stronger economic
ties to each other than their capital cities, and their only reminder that they
are from different countries is when they are terrorize by corrupt custom
officers. It is absolutely unimaginable that any of these villages will experience
economic prosperity designed from their capitals, and since independence they have
never seen any initiative or program towards such a goal. For instance:

A. Access roads between these villages are non-existence, and there are
absolutely  no  economic policies designed to enhance the farming industries, or
bold creative initiative to create employment. How can anybody honestly argue with
these people that economic integration, which they are already engage in is making
them worst of.
B. The economic reality is , the engine to our economic growth is not the
exploitation of our production base, and all form of economic activity is fuel
externally, mainly grants and loans from other countries and world bank. Another
economic reality, consumption spending, an important component of the aggregate
economy is in fact financed by Gambians living outside of the country. A friend of
mine further argued that small start up capital for  most small businesses in
Senegal and Gambia are financed by us living in the Diapora.
3….
Solutions
Maybe, I am new in the discipline of economics, but if we have not been able to
get off this underdevelopment train for the last thirty years, it is time to
explore other alternatives. A formation of a bilateral task force to immediately
look into the implementation of one currency, opening of borders, interstate roads
between these countries and developing of agricultural industries to create
employment and feed our people. If we can get our leaders to take the lead in
pushing bold economic programs, and used universities and the media to promote
integration, we would definitely be exploring a new path for the new millemnium.
It cannot be business as usual, we owe it to Demba in Kiaf(Gambian village), and
Modou in Pador(village in Senegal), to initiate bold economic programs that would
impact their socio-economic survival

Musa Jeng