GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:55:08 +0100
On 13 Dec 2000, at 9:14, Ceesay Soffie wrote:

> I've been reliably informed that the Deputy Inspector General of police, Mr.
> Tamsir Jasseh, has been relieved of his duties, yesterday.  Can someone on the
> ground inform the L on this issue.

Sister Soffie,
The following is from The Point at http://allafrica.com/gambia

******
DIG Fired, No Reason Given

The Point (Banjul)

December 13, 2000

Banjul

Tamsir Jasseh, deputy Inspector General of Police, has been relieved of his
post, competent and authoritative sources revealed yesterday. The sources said
the government gave no reason for sacking the number two man in the Gambian
police force.

But sources close to the Police suggested yesterday that the USA- trained
officer, who took part in the US-led "Operation Desert Storm" against Saddam
Hussein, might have stepped on the toes of his political superiors, in his
determined strides to restore public confidence in the force.

Some few weeks ago, Mr. Jasseh spearheaded a high-powered police team which was
on a "regaining the lost confidence of the police drive."

This move culminated in a meet-the-top-brass of the Press forum where he openly
stated should any political interference come into his professional duties he
would resign.

Sources also believe that he has instituted some major changes in the police
force, including the effective community policing which the capital city,
Banjul, is now enjoying, thereby reducing considerably the incidence of crime
in the area.

Even at the Police headquarters, Mr. Jasseh has evolved some institutional
discipline which have benefited the force as a whole.

One Police constable yesterday evening on hearing the dismissal of his DIGP
said, "those who manipulated and executed the demise of this young officer have
wreaked a world of injustice and disservice on the force."

Another police corporal said since Mr. Jasseh was brought in, first as police
adviser/consultant and recently as deputy IGP, a lot of positive changes have
taken place in the force.

"But a few of us knew he would fall foul of the those who wield the power."

On Jallow And Jasseh

The Point (Banjul)

OPINION
December 13, 2000

Banjul

The calls for transparency, accountability, good governance, the rule of law help to remind those who govern us that out there some people keep the vigil to make sure that they see and report what happens.

This is the answer to queries we have received from certain quarters who are indirectly telling us, "bark but the caravan will pass."

Maybe they are right. For despite all that is said, things happen, and unbelievable ones at that! Take the suspension of the Auditor General. Here is a lady that helped uncover (with the help of all her staff, those she a
grees with or not) many financial irregularities that hamper development efforts.

Now, we are made to believe that she was no saint. But, some people forget that a commission made handy by a parliamentary decision is working on the conclusions that cannot be changed.

So, really what are we to believe? Look at Tamsir Jasseh. For the past three months or so, he has been acting like a professional, much to the displeasure of certain quarters who still believe that we can continue to grop
e in the retrograde way of doing things.

His only crime has been to read the book according to the rules.

A modern police force has a role, a field to operate on and, more importantly, must be independent of political interference.

When this paper ran the story on the role of security forces in a democracy, everyone said Tamsir will go, and they were all right, as verified yesterday. The Government at least should have waited six or 10 months until
everyone forgets about the truths he dished out during the Civic Education Council Workshop at the Senegambia Beach Hotel on the 20th November. To be fair to him, his address was not specific to The Gambia, as he clearly
stated this; he just told his audience that in a modern democracy security forces have rules to abide by without undue interference. "Intelligence agencies are usually civilian organisations in a democracy and their offic
ers have no executive powers such as the authority to detain or arrest people," said Jasseh. He added: "It is very difficult to associate the military with democracy, this is because, as a matter of fact, many military ha
ve overturned or compromised democratic rule in many developing countries." He went on: "We as a nation are accepting our mistakes and are learning from them, and members of the security must continue to work hard to be s
een as security forces that are appreciated by the general public that we
serve, and not as security forces that are feared by the public." The talk in
town was that he would go, and this has come to pass.

What is wrong with our government? Does it not want to run a modern and
advanced country, cherished and applauded by Gambians and envied by other
African countries, for its adherence to transparency, accountability, the rule
of law, good governance etc. ? We register our deepest regrets for the loss of
two real professionals, who were bold enough to tell the leadership what is
right for all.