GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:42:38 +0100
We are told that ferries are in Kiev and will soon arrive. Should this be a
gentle pillow to lay our heads on in peace and mourn the dead and whiles doing
so another number arrived, 9 people died.
It is very true that ferry accidents do happen and even in developed counries.
The difference is that we are told that we should look at the ferry accident
in the Gambia as  a human catastrophy and not political, but I am of the
believed that the nature of the ferry accident would have had serious
political consequences in some countries. Overloaded ferry are not a rear
scene to see, the dirty enviroment, life jackets that are nowhere to be seen
or that one did not even have the know that they exist in the ferry and or
where. This state of affairs have been taken up by commuters of the ferry
without anything happen and when the consequences became reality we are told
not to worry new ferries are on their way from Kiev.
The reality is another things, even before the APRC governmement we have been
receiving new ferries from abroad but this has never change the worries of the
commuters. Bringing new ferries is not the same as having a security on board
that will be capable of taking care of the incidents when they happen and
minimise any accident. Until that is done no new ferries will be good enough
to save us from catastrophes on board the ferries during an accident.
The new ferries are coming and without doubt they are badly needed, we are
still to know on what conditions they are coming from poor Ukraine or should I
be told that it does not matter, what matters is that they are coming and a
very high government delegation have gone for them. Not only one minister was
on the trip but two of them and some others. When people spread such
information with the intention of mounting a political propaganda, they forget
to reason that our poor nation need a better way of organising its resources
that sending a plain load to poor Ukraine to under take official functions. We
are a poor nation; we have a debt problem that will give a sleepless night to
any government that is concern with national development. Just think of the
travelling expences, just think of the benefits paid to every invidual
travelling to Unkriane.We could have done this better. What is wrong in given
such an assignment to an ambassador to take care or a minister with a
secretary if there is the need for a high level delegation. Every single penny
that this government is spending should be calculated, building a nation needs
more than a "Philanthropist"president who from now and then, distribute D50
for dancing citizens welcoming a new generator,  donating truks or tractors to
farmers. It took him seven years to be able to do so and it is taking the RVH
more than 3 decades to provide her patient with a decent bandage to dress
wounds (Gaza, my in-law died at the RVH with a diabetes wound, his children
had to provide bandage for the wounds to be dressed whiles admitted at the
hospital,so I know what I am talking about).
My point is, it is not enough to have new ferries there is much more to it
ands this was the fear that commuters were much concerned with, the lesson we
are to learn from this is to stop reacting to the concern of the people only
when it is too late. Sending two ministers to Ukraine is not going to
increaser or reduced the value of the ferries or the relationship between the
two nations. The use of our scarce resources should be well calculated.
The day is still young and it is febuary 18,still hoping to hear that Dumo
Saho is been released and he will be spending the night at home and not only
what President Wada said about President Jammeh.

For Freedom
Saiks