GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:10:32 EDT
I think the main factor affecting tourism is the change in the political
climate.

Tourists came to the Gambia for one overlying reason: The peace and serenity
that the country offered. I am sure some of us can recall the period of the
late 70's and 80's when there was no army.  The Field Force was present but
their presence was rarely felt on the beaches and most areas of the country.
There was the occasional police man walking unarmed perhaps with a truncheon
for unruly elements.  No guns, and no menacing or threatening attitude.  Our
faithful tourists would come to the country year after year to enjoy this
peace and serenity.

Now the situation is different.  Like it or not, The Gambia is a military
state and the presence of men with little education and much less regard for
basic human rights carrying AK 47s and M16s cannot be avoided.  Most of the
repeat visitors, of which there were many, have most likely noticed the
change in political climate.  And, except for the few brave faithful, the
majority have decided to stay away.

I understand that there are other underlying factors that are killing this
trade. the country's multitude of attractions have not been adequately
developed to cater to tourists nor is their a good campaign to get these
people to visit beautiful Gambia.  But I can bet my last Dollar that if the
Gambian returns to civility and once again becomes the civil, relaxed,
beautiful place it once was, the old faithful will return in record numbers.
Until then, the tourist industry will continue to die slowly.