GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:34:36 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No. 17/2008, 8 – 10 February  2008

Editorial
The Judiciary Under Focus

The  Supreme Court is the final court of appeal for The Gambia, as provided
for by  section 126 of the constitution. It is constituted by no less than five
judges.  A single judge may exercise the powers of the court subject to fresh
application  to a bench of five judges for review.

The Supreme Court is expected  to deliver its decisions expeditiously. In
terms of interpretation of the  constitution, it is required to give its decision
within thirty days. The same  goes with the determination of the validity of
the election of a president or  the vacation of a seat in the National
Assembly.

The Chief Justice  is given the responsibility to ensure that the
constitutional provisions are  respected.

During the taking of the oath of office of two supreme  court judges, the
President of the Republic indicated that it is not his  intention to interfere
with the judiciary. This is exactly what the constitution  says. It states under
section 120 subsection (3) that “in the exercise of their  judicial
functions, the courts, the judges and other holders of judicial office  shall be
independent and shall be subject only to this constitution and the Law  and, save as
provided in this chapter, shall not be subject to the control or  direction
of any other person or authority.”

The media will follow  all the decisions of the judges and report on the
proceedings with accuracy so  that the people will subject them to the test of
fundamental justice which holds  that justice should both be done and seen to be
done.
If the pronouncements  of the president are to be seen as a departure from
the past it should be  followed by a review of the cases of all detainees and
the pending trials so as  to give advice for their release or speedy justice.
The day such an approach is  announced every Gambian would be convinced that a
new page has been turned in  the political life of the governance of the
country. Until then we can only wait  and see whether words will match deeds.

Market Vendors Decry  Denial of Income
By Saikou Ceesay
Market vendors and petty traders, women  and men at Latrikunda Sabiji market,
have expressed dismay and pain over the  manner in which they were compelled
to vacate and demolish their canteens from  where they earn their income.
According to the vendors at the market, the  Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC)
has pledged to construct a sample canteen that  they will emulate.
Speaker after speaker lamented the late receipt of the  notice from the
market master. They were given only a day’s notice, and the  subsequent day they
themselves demolished their canteens.
Speaking to this  paper on behalf of market vendors, Alhagie Ngum said that
they were compelled by  the KMC to demolish their canteens with a view to
getting them ( vendors) to  reconstruct their canteens themselves. “The KMC
informed us that if we don’t  have the means to construct our canteens the way they
want it, they will give  them out to anyone who has the means to build them the
way they want, according  to their sample canteen,” added Mr. Ngum. He
explained how this  denied  them their source of income which serves as a means of
livelihood.
Mr. Ngum  complained that they lack the ability to reconstruct their canteens
as required  by the Council. He said that they suggested to the Council to
reconstruct their  canteens and which they will in turn repay the Council by
monthly installment.  He further stressed that for years they have been paying
taxes and duties to the  council so that they can use those monies for the
development of the  market.
Amie Jobe, a petty trader, looking distraught, said that they are
desperately loitering around not knowing what to do due to the displacement. She
described the Bambo car park and Buffer Zone as areas that are not conducive for
business. She blamed the Council for reneging on their promises as the leakage
of the public latrines persisted. She complained about the awful odour in the
environment which she said they have to endure. She called on Council to
engage  in participatory development in order to resolve problems.
Rose Bolongani,  another petty trader, also explained that for two days now
she has not been  earning any income due to their displacement by the KMC. She
stressed the need  for Council to properly address issues affecting vendors.
This reporter has  for three days running been frantically trying to speak to
the Kanifing  Municipal Council Public Relations Officer, Pa Kalifa Sanyang,
on the issue but  he is still not accessible. However, this paper is ready to
publish his version  whenever he chooses to give one.
Meanwhile, the unhygienic conditions of the  toilets and the leakage of waste
coming from them  into the alleyways and  forming a pool still remain. The
garbage heap is also not yet  cleared.

15 Beggars and “Almudus” Released
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay
It has been disclosed that all the 15 beggars and “almudus”,  boy-street
beggars, who were arrested on Tuesday have been screened and  subsequently
released after being strictly warned to desist from begging on the  streets and at
traffic junctions. According to the Immigration Spokesperson,  Superintendent
Olimatou Jammeh Sonko, the 15 wheel chair beggars and “Almudus,”  were
arrested by their personnel in their bid to remove the beggars off the  streets in
any form.
Talking to this reporter on Thursday, 7 February,  Superintendent Jammeh
Sonko disclosed that most of those arrested were rounded  up at traffic junctions,
where they are normally base to do their begging. She  said that their
respective countries have been identified and that they will  liaise with their
embassies to locate their families in the event of  deportation. She also said
that all of them are non Gambians; that they are from  Mali, Senegal and Guinea.
She noted that the marabout of the “Almudus’ arrested  was also identified
and was called and given strict warning regarding the well  being of his
students. She added that they believe the marabout will heed of  their warning.
The Immigration spokesperson also said that her department  will not allow
physically disabled beggars from other countries to enter The  Gambia through
the borders. She explained that all their border patrols and  guards were
informed to stop any physically disabled beggar from entering the  country. She said
they are working hand in glove with Senegalese Immigration to  help them curb
the flow of beggars into The Gambia from their side of the  border. She noted
this initiative will surely work as the Senegalese are more  than willing to
help them tackle the problem. She pointed out that her  department has
embarked on a general exercise to clear the beggars in the entire  country. She added
that there will be an operation clean the country of beggars.
On the arrest of newspaper vendors at West Field junction, last  Tuesday,
PRO Jammeh Sonko said that it was a mistake for them to arrest  newspaper
vendors;  that vendors are not part of the operation; that they  were later
identified and released subsequently.

WEEKLONG GPU  TRAINING ENDS
JOURNALISTS EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS
By Amie Sanneh
A week  long training workshop, organized by the Gambia Press Union (GPU) for
 journalists, ended on Thursday, at the GPU headquarters. At the end of the
training, Foroyaa caught up with some of the trainees to enable them express
their views on the training.

Mamadou Edrisa Njie
Reporter, News  and Report Weekly Magazine
I feel very happy and excited about the training.  The training has improved
my writing skills. I learnt a lot during the short  period on interviews, mind
mapping, etc. I was in the Field Reporting Group and  we have performed to
expectation. The most interesting thing I learnt is mind  mapping, which I have
never learnt before. I have undergone many training  sessions but I have never
learnt such a thing.
I thank GPU for organizing  such a training but I am also appealing for the
training to take at least one or  two months next time.
The knowledge gained by participants from the training  should be
disseminated to their colleagues.
As for those who are unfortunate  to attend, they should be hard working
because it’s through hard work and  commitment they can be lucky to gain training
like this.

Marie  Cherry
Point Newspaper
I feel great to be given this privilege to  attend such a training, which is
really beneficial to journalists.
I was  under the Online and Web Mastering Group. I learnt a lot but the most
important  thing I have learnt is how to up-load the internet and even edit on
the  internet. I also learnt a lot of ideas on Online Journalism. I have
never  attended such training. I would like to thank the GPU for conducting such
training. I would like them to conduct more training, for it will enhance the
capacities of journalists.
As for my colleagues, any where they are given the  opportunity to be
trained, they should make good use of it.
Baboucarr Ceesay
Journalist, Foroyaa Newspaper
The training is a very meaningful one  because it has exposed us to another
journalistic environment in the area of  online journalism.
I was a participant in the Online Journalism and  Web-Mastering group.
The most interesting part of the training were the  photo editing, internet
news writing, web editing,etc aspects.
The time frame  is too short, the facilities we were enjoying were not
adequate and I believe  that,  in future, enough time would be provided.
On the other hand,  internet connectivity was also not normal during the time
of the training, but I  believe we can still make best use of the skills
learnt.
However, GPU should  be consolidated and work towards a more conducive
environment for press freedom  and expression to enable the eradication of  the
culture of  impunity.
Those who were fortunate to attend the training should share the  skills and
knowledge with those who were not privileged to be part of the  training.

Irmelin Viegas
Trainer from Denmark
I see it  as very inspiring and I think it is a good way of training instead
of just being  a teacher. You get a better understanding when you are
interacting as colleagues  than as a teacher and student.
I think one week is a good beginning but it  would have been nice to have
more time. I think I have managed to drop a stone  in the water and it will
spread like rings. My advice is they should not become  lazy but keep working with
enthusiasm. I hope that they will keep the network  and inspire others.
I hope the unfortunate ones will learn from those who  have been trained or
they may be lucky to be part of the other training sessions  in future.

Birger Agergaard
Trainer from Denmark
I am  very much impressed with the keen interest shown by the journalists.
Their  commitment indicates that the future is bright. There is nothing more
impressive  than working with committed and keen young professionals who are
ready to  sharpen their skills and acquire knowledge to better execute their jobs
in a  professional manner with high standards and best practices.

Madi  M.K. Ceesay
GPU President
It is a success because it is the third mission  since the project started.
At the beginning of this course I was here and I  heard what the trainer had
for the journalists and I’m fortunate enough to come  back and chat with few
participants who said they have learnt new things that  will have an impact on
their job. As a result, I think it is a useful thing for  the GPU and we will
continue on this exercise. We have 13 more missions to come  before the end of
the project.
The time frame I admit is short because one  week is not that enough, but as
this is the first major program or project of  GPU, a project that is to the
tune of 1.2 million Dalasi that is not small  money. We will learn from our
mistakes and as the project is going on. GPU is  working out other modalities for
another project which will even be bigger than  this. That project will
really factor in the time frame because it is very short  to get something
qualitative for the participants. I will really want them to  put the knowledge into
practice because there is no point of acquiring skills  without using them.
The more you don’t use them, the more you forget, so to  be on top of issues,
participants are advised to make best use of their skills  and interact among
themselves and network.
For those who are unfortunate I’m  telling them to have patience. This is a
project that is going to run for two  years. I’m sure by the end of the two
years all the journalists in the country  will participate.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
THE GAMBIA CELEBRATES SILVER  JUBILEE; ARE WE JUSTIFIED? (Part 1)
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been  focusing on politics in this column. We have commenced the
narration of  significant political events from the pre-colonial to post-
Independence era. We  have successfully completed the narration of events up to the
late 1980s. In the  last edition, we have dealt with the collapse of the Soviet
Union which marked a  turning point in world politics and the event was not
taken lightly at the  time.
In this edition we will commence with the events in the 1990s, as the
country celebrates its Silver jubilee. The question that came to mind at the  time
was whether or not we were justified in celebrating the 25th Independence  in
grand style.
Let us continue from where we stopped.
The beginning of  the 1990s coincided with the Silver Jubilee Celebration
marking the 25th  Anniversary of the attainment of Gambia’s Independence from
Great Britain.
The PPP Government made a costly preparation for this celebration in an
atmosphere of much air and pomp. A special Editorial Commission comprising
Bakary Darboe MP, Alhaji Hassan B. Jallow MP, Alhaji Suwaebu Conateh and Messrs  Pa
B. M K. Njie, Musa O. Sanneh and Musa A. Sey. was said to have researched and
 written, “THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE” (the story of the PPP) from 1959-1980.
The  decision to write this book was conceived in 1984 but its publication
coincided  with the 25th anniversary of Independence.
The objective was meant to show to  the people the progress so far made by
the PPP, not only as a party, but as a  government since the attainment of
independence in 1965, which obviously was  meant to impress the populace.
The authors took much pride in the  achievements of the PPP government and
cited some development projects during  the 25 years, such as the Rural
Development Project (RDP-1), which was aimed at  benefiting the vast majority of
Gambian farmers by raising output of upland  crops, both groundnuts and cereals;
and the Artisanal Fisheries Project, which  was aimed at increasing the output
and incomes of the fishermen.
Much  publicity was given to the construction of the new Kotu electricity
generating  station, to overcome the acute shortage of electricity in Banjul and
the  surrounding areas. Services such as water supply, in both rural and urban
areas,  were cited such as digging wells in the rural areas to expand the
services.
Road construction was also cited as an area where the PPP  government fared
better. The Soma-Basse Road was said to be upgraded to highway  standards,
Buniadu- Kuntaya Road was upgraded to laterite surface. Feeder roads,  river
transport, 13 concrete wharves were started at various sites along the  river
Gambia in order to improve river transport.
Yundum International  Airport was provided with a runway capable of landing
wide-bodied jets and  facilities to meet the needs of the rapidly growing air
traffic, particularly  that of chartered tourists.
Indicators of Social Development from 1974-1989  were mentioned, such as the
enrolment in primary schools from 22,600 in 1974 to  43,432; enrolment in
secondary schools from 5,800 in 1974 to 9,000 in 1981; post  secondary school
enrolment from 133 in 1974 to 409 in 1981. Other indicators  included hospital
beds, from 428 in 1974 to 460 in 1981; physicians from nothing  in 1974 to 36 in
1981; employment in formal sector from 18,500 in 1974 to 30,800  in 1981; of
which the public sector employed 15,500 in 1974 and 23,000 in 1981;  and so on.
The authors also cited the Agricultural Development Project  (ADP-11), mixed
farming and Resource Management Project,  Jahally-Pacharr-Project,
Cotton-Development Project, Livestock, West German and  USAID assisted forestry projects,
etc.
Emphasis was laid on the ongoing  construction of the Banjul Serrekunda dual
carriageway and the second Port  Project, the telecommunication modernization,
tourism, Bansang and Banjul  hospitals etc.
As far as the booklet is concerned, the ERP succeeded by  providing
significant, immediate and mid-term benefits such as rationalizing the  prices and
exchanges area, providing incentives to producers and a guarantee  against
shortages. It also argued that the ERP helped through rescheduling  action, to
lighten the debt burden and to enhance our credit worthiness. It  stated that
external public debt as a percentage of GDP had, for instance, been  reduced from
20% in 1985/88 to 132% in 1988/89. Official reserves which in 1985  stood at
zero virtually rose by 1988/89 to the equivalent of three  months.
According to the PPP booklet, the PPP Government was able to attract  much
larger external development assistance and from more diverse sources than  had
been available until then. It said most of our external assistance had come
from few sources notably Great Britain and the World Bank/ IDA. It said sources
had now been diversified to access external aid as far  afield as the  people’
s Republic of China, Germany, various Arab Funds etc.
So as far as the  PPP Government was concerned, development was on track.
They cited “Tesito”  depicting their faith in the dignity of effort as opposed
to despair. Tesito  they wrote came to stay as the ideological framework within
which all their  development efforts were conceived, planned and implemented.
Newspapers and  individuals also reacted and made their observations on the
event.
The  Nation Paper wrote “We can proudly say that on this day the actions
taken by our  predecessors during 300 years or more have not been fruitless!” But
that they  did not forget man’s inhumanity to man perpetrated by imperialism
and  colonialism during that epoch. This time they said was not for
recrimination, it  was a time to look ahead.
The Nation opined that when the people of this  country throw off the yoke of
colonialism, they did so because they detest it.  They argued that the people
did so not to exchange “White’ for Black”  imperialism, but to make a clean
sweep of any semblance of imperialism.
The  Nation argued that to repeat the practice of colonialism after political
 independence and British tutelage is to have misled the people of this
country  which they described as an unworthy action, and opined that the people of
this  country would reject that. The Nation expressed the belief that the
salvation of  this country lies in the belief that African unity properly cemented
can and  must be the supreme custodian of Africa, no less The Gambia. And
this African  unity can only be effective if unity in The Gambia is effective.
The Nation  observed that elected leaders must have their roots in the
masses, the common  people upon whom the foundation of a government must be built.
They also  emphasized that any dictation from any other state would not be
tolerated by the  people.
From now on, the Nation wrote, we are masters of our own destiny, and  we
must use the power in spite of the size of our country and regardless of any
threat from whatever quarter; that with the people as the vanguard, this land of
our birth, would be a beacon for others to emulate.
The paper however  clarified that freedom from political control, must
inevitably lead the way to  freedom from hunger, from mass unemployment and indeed
from tyranny. Now that  colonialism has passed away, so must our insular
attitude change; that we must  think in terms of Africa and of the World at large
and that must be our hope.
The Nation called on the people to move together as a Nation, breaking down
the barriers which tend to divide us; and with one united voice, march forward
 and never looking backwards.
The JALI BAA editorial of August/ September 1990  reacting to the 25 years of
Nationhood did not express sympathy to the Jawara  regime.
Mr. Ousman Mbenga and Tombong Saidy emphasized that the past decade  for
Africa was marked by a prevalent nightmare of doom and demoralization. They
attributed this to the selfish political motives of the misleaders of the  African
continent.
The JALI BAA wrote that the shameful condition of Africa  and her children
all over the world goes to reinforce the neocolonial  collaboration between what
they called the “Kleptocracy” in Africa and their  European Masters; that
the vestiges of colonialism are so deeply rooted that,  since “Independence”
nothing of significance has been realized from the various  five-year plan hoax
which they described as deceptive economic development plans  designed by the
same blood sucking European institutions such as the IMF and the  World Bank;
that adding insult to injury, these buffoon ‘heads of state’ created
self-help projects under the pretext of involving the masses in the development
process, when in fact such projects served no real function but as a conduit to
funnel funds into the private accounts of a tiny section of the  bureaucracy.
The editorial also applauds elders or ‘kelefas’ like Pa Hali  Jammeh, Pa
Small, Pa Alhagi Bun Dawda Corr and Mam Tamsir Demba who they claimed  never sold
their soul to anyone but the truth. They called on other ’kelefas’ to
expose what they described as, this useless Jawara government who apparently  after
25 years showed no love for them and the country. The JALI BAA concluded  by
suggesting among other things that we declare the 90s into the 21st century,
the era of African interest, because the rest of the world were calling for
economic and political unity that excluded Africa.
See next edition of focus  as we continue to narrate the reactions of the
people on the Silver  jubilee.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Life Is Not  A  Game
Part 3

With Amie Sillah
George Rings Essa
George was  lonely. He was in a forced relationship with Sophie. He wanted to
escape the  boredom by spending the time with Essa. What an irony? As he rang
his friend, he  was at a hotel room enjoying his wife, Sophia. George rang
Essa. He became  impatient when he saw his name on his screen. He took the cell
phone and  murmured his words. “Boy! Where are you? I am bored here. I want to
hang out  with you. I am bored, having to stick out with a woman I don’t know
and cannot  love. It is very boring.” Essa gave a croaky laughter and said. “
I am a kind of  busy now. But I’ll ring when am down with what I am doing. It
is very  important.” “Okay! Call me. Am waiting!” “Take care! It’s a pity.
Bye!” Essa was  shaking. He talked seriously at Sophia. “You have to control
yourself. Don’t  blow up my cover. Give your marriage a cooling off period. At
least, until  George returns back to England.” Sophie told him not to worry. “
He is bored with  me and likewise I am with him. We are escaping in our
different ways. He always  comes home late. He does not care where I go to. We are
virtual strangers.” “All  the same, we should be careful. Our unborn child
needs social security. You have  also to build our resources before finally
calling it a quit.” “I know, but  darling, I missed you for long.” Sophia said. “
Try to love George. He is a nice  man until our plan is executed. Don’t be
taken by lust. I’ll always be there for  you. Always be focused. Remember why we
are in the deal.”

Sophia  And Aminatta
Aminatta is Sophia’s course mate. She shares all her secrets  with her. Amie
advised her. “Please respect your marriage to George. His mother  loves and
pets you. You lack nothing as a married woman. Forget about Essa. He  is
penniless. George is equally handsome, rich and generous. If you try you will  learn
to love him. It is not a big deal.” “Never! I’ll never love George. Essa  is
my life. Essa gets my love and George pays the bills.” “Nonsense! Many women
will die just to be with George. Think straight girlfriend! You are not fair
to  George.” Sophia made a silly giggle. “I have rented a permanent suite at
the  hotel, a love nest. We meet weekly for now until George travel.” “What
about if  George bumps into you and blows up your cover? For how long do you
intend to  keep your secret?” Amie asked. “For as long as Essa lives.” “But,
girlfriend! It  does not work like that in reality. Wake up girl! You cannot
have your cake and  eat it.” “I intend to have this cake and eat it for a very
long time.” Sophie  bluffed.

In The Hotel- The D-Day
As the lovers enjoyed  themselves in their love net, the unexpected happened.
Aminatta tipped George.  He went straight to the hotel room and bumped into
the lovers. “What! George!”  They were strucked by his discovery. That was the
end of the game. Ninety nine  days for the thief and one day for the master.
George parted ways with the  devils. Their marriage was annulled. Aunty Diana
confiscated everything given to  Sophiatou. She apologized to her son. “I am
sorry son. You warned me. I got you  into this mess but all is well that ends
well. Let me tell you a story that was  narrated to me by my business partner.”

The Story Goes
Alh.  Matarr is a generous man. He married a hard working woman Aja Rose.
They were  blessed with three daughters Nadia, Zahra and Salma. Salma is
presently staying  and working in the U.S. She is married to an American citizen.
Salma sent a lot  of money through her mom to set a family business.
Alh Matarr Visits His  Village
Alh Matarr visited his village. Ousman is an adopted brother. He  helps
grandma with her daily chores. He is very helpful. He got a school  certificate but
is unemployed. Alhajj gives him a monthly stipend for taking  care of his old
mother in the village. Mansata, his wife cooks for  grandma.
Aja’s family business is growing at a rapid speed. Alhajj is still  working
for government. He cannot engage in full business. Alhajj decided to  take
Ousman to town. He discussed it with his mother. “Mama, I want to take Ous  to the
city. There are more opportunities there than here. He is a very hard
working man. I want to help him get out of poverty.” Mama was excited. “My son!  I
am very happy. Ous is like a son to be. But I’ll not be selfish to keep him in
 the village. I’ll manage. You can hire a helper for me. I have some farm
helpers  but I need a househelper. Especially, if Mansata follows her husband to
the  city.” Mansata came with her sack. “No! No! Mansa, you are staying in
the  village. The accommodation is small but I intend to build a larger boys’
quarters to cater for your family. I am sorry. Don’t eat me up!” He teased
Mansata. “On a lighter note, you can be visiting from time to time. After all, I
 am not evil. I am not a Hitler.” They all laughed.

Mama Advises  Ousman
Ous, my son! This is a very good opportunity for you and your family.  Be of
good character and behaviour as I always know you are. I pray Allah give  you
good health and prosperity. Amen.” They all chorused.

At the  Family Home
Alhajj brought Ousman along. He introduced him to his family. The  girls
teased him. “Dad! You brought a gentleman to be your driver and houseboy?  He is
handsome!” Nadia and Zahra teased. Aja looked tense. She gave Ous a  lukewarm
welcome.

Jambur Land Dispute
Western Region Governor Sued
By Modou Jonga
On  Wednesday 6th February, 2008, eighteen people, all residents of Jambur
village in the Kombo South district of the Western Region, were arraigned
before  Magistrate E.F M’bai over a disputed piece of land located at Jambur. When
the  case was called, the police prosecutor Corporal 134 Sambou said he
intends to  proceed with the case. Subsequently, counsel for the accused persons,
Lawyer  Borry Touray submitted that the Brikama Magistrates Court is
incompetent and  lacks jurisdiction to proceed with the case.
Lawyer Touray noted that a suit  had been filed at High Court in 2006 by the
accused persons and their families  over the ownership of the disputed piece
of land. He said the suit is filed by  Mamalang Bojang, Jereba Kela Bojang and
Afang Karamo Bojang against one Samba  Jallow, Sarjo Bah, Cherno Bah, Samba
Akay Bah, Buba Bah and the Governor of the  Western Region. Lawyer Touray
further urged the court to grant a stay off  proceeding of the criminal case against
his clients pending the final  determination of the civil suit at the high
Court. “There is a pending civil  action for the determination of ownership over
the disputed piece of land”,  Lawyer Touray reiterated.
In objecting to the application of the defence  counsel, the Prosecutor
Corporal 134 Sambou, said the accused persons are  charged with a criminal offence
and their alleged act has caused a loss of  property. Prosecutor Sambou noted
that the accused persons have failed to heed  to the order of the High Court
that urged them to refrain from interfering with  the disputed piece of land.
He then applied for the court to grant him time to  transfer the case to the
relevant jurisdiction.
Lawyer Touray did not object  to the application sought by the prosecutor.
It was granted and the case was  deferred to Wednesday 20th, February, 2008.

Cassamance Nine
More Evidence Emerges In Insurgents’ Case
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
More  evidence has emerged in the trial of the nine alleged Cassamance
insurgents as the third prosecution witness, Samba Gajaga testifies.
Mr.  Gajaga, who said he is an investigative officer with the security
agencies,  admitted knowing the accused persons and having played a role in the
investigation of the purported rebels.
Several items were tendered in court  as evidence which the witness claimed
to be caught with the accused persons or  recovered from their residence.
The items shown in court included a lap top,  floppy disc, camera, maps,
photographs of State House and Fajara Military  Barrack, photographs of two motor
bikes belonging to the rebels, five mobile  phones, several Gambian identity
cards, CFA cash, a bag full talismans, record  books, military booth and wears,
and a photo album.
The prosecution witness  told the court that he was in charge of all the
recovered items during the  arrest of the accused persons.
Mr. Gajaga recalled on May 18, Sedat Jarju,  the first accused person, was
arrested and taken to Wellingara Police Station.  He also alleged that most of
the items were found in Sedat’s house.
The  Director of Public Prosecution, Emmanuel Fagbenle urged the court to
admit the  items as evidence, stressing their relevance to the charges against
the accused  persons.
The court did admit the items, following the accused persons  acceptance of
their admissibility.
The nine alleged insurgents are accused of  spying, planning attack on
Senegal and illegal possession of Gambian  documents.
The trial is expected to resume next week at the Banjul  Magistrates Court.

Professional Bee Keepers Association Harps on Honey Collection
By Isatou  Bittaye
The Professional Beekeepers Association (PBA) in an interview with  this
reporter on Wednesday at their office in Lamin dilated on the process of  honey
collection. Speaking to this reporter, Mr. Ebrima Keita, a member of the
association, said he has been in the honey business for many years now but their
association was established in 2003. He said the association has its own bee
hives where they collect honey and that they also buy honey from individuals in
Basse and Guinea Bissau because what they get from their hives is not enough
to  satisfy the demand for honey in the country. Keita added that the process
of  honey collection at the bee hives use to take up to three months for
harvesting.  He said they only collect honey during the dry season because it is
not  advisable to collect honey in the rainy season as the bees get little food
to  eat and also the water content in the honey is always high. He said they
also  engage in the processing of the bee wax into cream called wax cream skin
ointment.
Mr. Keita further urged the people to always buy honey from the  association
which is good honey. He said that if the honey is not ripe it can  cause
health problems and they (the association) are professionally trained on
beekeeping and they know and produce ripe honey.

Also dilating on the issue of markets outlets, Morro Suwaneh, another  member
of the association, said they used to sell their honey to the  supermarkets
such as Marouns and Right Choice. He said they also sell to  individuals; that
450 grams tin cost D40 for wholesale price and D50.00 at  retail price; that
the 270 grams tin cost D22.50 for wholesale and D25.00 for  retail and the
litre of honey cost D150.00

Mr. Suwaneh explained their problems such as insufficient equipment for
processing and financial constraints, noting that the association is a young
organization with very little support. He said that they need enough bee hives  to
collect honey inorder to be able to sell throughout the year. He indicated
that they were once supported financially by the Voluntary Service Overseas
(VSO). He said the association is a member of The Gambia Chamber of Commerce and
 Industry (GCCI) and the Association of Small Scale Enterprises in Tourism
(ASSET) and they use to participate in the trade fair.

Gibril Colley, association member, added that the association is also faced
with the problem of storage facilities. He said that the honey should be
stored  in a cool dry place and they do not have enough storage materials. He said
people use to say that beekeepers contribute to bush fires but he indicated
that  those people are not beekeepers but honey hunters, noting that the
beekeepers do  not use fire in honey processing. Mr. Colley said they have three
types of honey  called the light, amba and dark honey; that it all depends on the
type of tree  of which the honey is collected. He said the association needs
help and support  from philanthropists and they are advising the people to
always buy honey from  them for safer health.
Almiatu Kujabi, member, said the business of  beekeeping is very viable and
important as the honey is good for the human body  and it gives good health.
She said people should at least take honey once daily  especially for the
children.

Awards. Go to AOL Music.