GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 07:53:48 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:29:09 -0700
From: Charlotte Utting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] FW: [Adna-list] UPDATE: Major AIDS Protest in DC - TODAY !

I don't usually forward their notices of meetings in D.C. but I thought it
noteworthy that Salih Booker, Executive Director of Africa Action, was
arrested today.  --CU

----------
From: Nunu <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:17:57 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Adna-list] UPDATE: Major AIDS Protest in DC - TODAY !

ADNA UPDATE: 040520
Message from:  Africa Action
For contact information see also:
http://adna.africafocus.org
contact: Andre Banks <[log in to unmask]>

Africa Action Press Release

For Immediate Release
Contact:  Monique Luse, Africa Action
202-546-7961
734-678-4678

Africa Action Joins in Historic AIDS Protest
Arrests Expected as 1,000 Gather to Demand Action from Congress and
Presidential Candidates

The staff of Africa Action will join with a thousand people, including
activists living with HIV, their family members, and providers of AIDS
prevention and treatment services, today in Washington, DC for an angry
election-year march and civil disobedience action in the largest such
effort in over a decade.  100 marchers will be arrested in an act of civil
disobedience at the capital building as they tell Congress and the
Presidential Candidates, "Wake Up, Times Up!"

"In this election year President Bush, John Kerry and Congress must do more
to address HIV/AIDS-the greatest health and humanitarian crisis in
history," said Salih Booker, Executive Director of Africa Action who was
arrested with other demonstrators today.  "HIV/AIDS will be an election
issue this November and any candidate who expects success at the polls must
first show their commitment to fighting AIDS at home and at its epicenter
in Africa."

Stressing that the 8% of voters in a tight election identify HIV/AIDS as
their number-one health concern, the protesters pledge continued activity,
demanding that elected officials and candidates alike commit to
comprehensive programs to prevent HIV transmission, to bring treatment and
support services to people living with HIV, and to redouble efforts for a
cure, in the United States and around the world.

"Last week, the federally-funded Institute of Medicine gave our elected
leaders a report that verifies what we're dealing with every day in our
neighborhoods -- at least 59,000 people here in the United States can't get
stable access to life-saving AIDS drugs," said Louis Jones of the New York
City AIDS Housing Network, a member of the Still We Rise coalition planning
events during the Republican and Democratic National Conventions.  "Over a
thousand of us from across the country are coming to DC to say:
'Wake up! Time's Up! Our lives depend on these medications and support
programs, and we're going to be everywhere you are, from here to the
national political conventions to the voting booth until we see some real
action."
The coalition demands include:

o Full funding of domestic and global efforts to provide lifesaving HIV
medications to millions;
o Full funding of the domestic and global HIV/AIDS public health
infrastructure;
o Support of comprehensive and honest HIV prevention efforts;
o An end to politically-motivated attacks on scientific research on
HIV/AIDS; and
o Full funding for AIDS housing programs.

"There's been a death toll through every presidential administration while
we continue to block funding for needle exchange or put up roadblocks to
getting AIDS drugs to poor nations," said Waheedah El-Shabazz of ACT UP
Philadelphia. "Believe me, those of us who continue to bury our friends and
loved ones, here and around the world, are wide awake and ready to do what
it takes to stop this epidemic. If you're running around saying stuff like
condoms don't work, or cutting funds for the programs our lives depend
upon, or even just refusing to talk about AIDS out loud and often, you're
dreaming if you think you are fighting AIDS."

The crowd gathers at Folger Park (3rd and D, SE) at 11 am, march past
Republican National Committee headquarters and the Democratic National
Committee headquarters and finish with civil disobedience on the West Side
of the Capitol Building.

[log in to unmask] To ensure that the ADNA database is updated
correctly, please also send a copy of your request, or any other request
for changes in your membership
information, to [log in to unmask] For additional assistance with
the adnalist,
write to [log in to unmask]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/DKgolB/TM

We periodically meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  Others who want to subscribe need to send a message to [log in to unmask] from the email account they want to subscribe.
Yahoo! Groups Links

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/