GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:55:08 -0500
From http://www.observer.gm

Opinion
For The Gambia, our homeland
By Alasana JK Njie
(Cert, PG Dip, BA (Hons)
Jun 14, 2004, 15:52

The Gambia's economic problems have become an everyday phrase for every
concerned Gambian, as every hardworking Gambian (except politicians) in one
way or another has felt the harsh effects of this economic difficulty.
There is absolutely no doubt that decent, hardworking and peace-loving
Gambians, who believe in The Gambia and our values, are hard hit, whether
one is in the country or outside of it.

Our love for our country can only increase, in good or in bad times,
especially in times of difficulty of this magnitude and severity. However,
since there is a problem (economic difficulty) that needs to be dealt with,
for Gambians and The Gambia, wise, experienced, educated men and women and
every single Gambian of every race, tribal and religious bias, should come
together in a positive, constructive and decisive manner and in one way or
another, to do what is best for our country. I believe every Gambian, in
some way, would rightly have his or her own idea (s) as to what we need to
do to get ourselves out of this crisis, if one so wishes to describe it.
However, having ideas, right or wrong, suitable or unsuitable and being in
a position to implement them and influence matters for the good of the
country especially in times of crisis could be two different things. This
is why those in positions of public authority, in positions of public
trust, who are charged with ensuring the socio-economic security of
Gambians have a job to do. They sought the public’s mandate to manage our
affairs, particularly our economic security.

They therefore have a responsibility and they will be held responsible for
whatever goes wrong because of their actions, either directly or
indirectly. I believe it's high time the government took responsibility for
our current economic situation. We should stop blaming it on businessmen,
foreigners and unpatriotic citizens. I acknowledge that it is a difficult
job, but I also believe taking the wrong measures, that is, strategies and
policies, would only make it more difficult, particularly for grassroots
and hardworking Gambians. Therefore questioning certain actions of the
government and putting forward constructive, balanced and implementable
alternative views is the absolute minimum that we who are not in positions
of authority can and should do.

It does not amount to disliking the government nor does it amount to being
unpatriotic. Patriotism should be to a country not to a government and I
believe no one is more patriotic than someone who has the genuine interest
of the country at heart, who believes in The Gambia and our values, who is
Gambian through and through. To a patriotic citizen, the country comes
before any government or the individual interests of certain public
figures. That is why I don't personally believe in party loyalty but
loyalty to the country and our causes. We should question the motives of
any politician who preaches party loyalty and let them know that our
country comes first before any party.

We need loyalty to The Gambia, to the people and their socio-economic and
political needs and that is why individuals in government are the least
important as far as I am concerned. What is important is their actions
actions that affect every Gambian for good or for worse. I am not
particularly interested in who isin government. What I am interested in is
let the people of The Gambia get what they voted one for. Chief amongst
these is socio-economic prosperity. It is my fundamental belief that every
single Gambian has a right to socio-economic prosperity and self-fulfilment
amongst others. It is also my fundamental belief that the government is
going about it in wrong way to deliver these pressing needs. It is a
problem and for that matter something that needs the most urgent and right
actions when the people are not getting these needs. Nobody wants a
government in The Gambia to fail simply because failure for any government
always means hardship for ordinary and hardworking people, with the
exception of politicians.

I certainly don’t want even an animal in The Gambia to suffer any kind of
hardship, let alone the people of The Gambia. I therefore challenge the
government to give Gambians what they deserve and be loyal to The Gambia
and Gambians rather than their parties. I also challenge them to change
their strategies and policies to ones that give people the economic
prosperity they need and rightly deserve. This is because their strategies
and policies are not working for The Gambia and I pray that God gives them
the wisdom and guidance to do what is best for our country and future
generations. God bless The Gambia.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company