GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 10:38:07 +0100
Ebou, let me also emphasis that whatever i say on this
forum is independent of any political party's opinion
so to say that your comments are apolitical is of no
relevance to my objection to your discourse. The fact
of the matter is you loaded your piece with
revolutionary thinking of philosphers, the very
purpose of whose arguments were completely
misrepresented at the tail end of your previous
posting.

Ebou i did not misrepresent anything for i read and
read you several times before i sent my take on your
arguments on 'human rights and the Gambian polity'.
Reading the last few sentences of your latest reply to
me once again confirm my position that you still dont
want to come clean about your position on human rights
and the Gambian polity. You wrote "it is in the best
interest of poor countries like the Gambia to priotize
values within their socio-economic means i.e. civil
society must politically balance the triads; and this
balancing act is the only way to gurantee a practical
freedom that ensure peace, harmony and economic
progress"...but Ebou you know very well(having served
in the AFPRC council) that the tactics used by any
dictatorship to balance political rights with
so-called national security interest is to destroy the
very fabric that gives civil society the power and
courage to speak against abuses by(1)thruogh abnoxious
regulatory decrees and (2)if the first one fails like
in the case of the Gambia uses terror to either force
the civil society to caw down to their pressure or
prostitute the very people who the civil society
defends with all sort of inducements so that they no
longer differentiate the evil intentions of the
dictatorship from their basic human rights.

So in a situation like this the balancing senario you
talked about between individual rights and
socio-economic
means becomes secondry because the very people who
should bring about that socio-economic progress have
are now subject of state sanctioned terror. And that's
why Martha Nussbaum's arguments in a situation of ours
becomes unworthy of its strenght. Nussbaum had in mind
a conducive society where all the practical rights are
operational with the state taking the lead in
providing the enabling environment for that balance
between individual rights and socio-economic progress.
But in a country where child killers are indemnified
and can do the same act and get away with it; in a
society where the very fundamental principles that
make the balance work well between individual rights
and socio-econimic progress are set aside for the
interest of a only few individuals and their business
interest, the Nussabaum theory Ebou becomes useless.
Am however happy that you say you abhor abuse in all
its forms. If you and i can agree on this then we will
be able to forge ahead.
Have a good day.

E Sillah.

 --- Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > This
is a rejoinder to the observations, questions