GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:55:30 -0000
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"...Thus, the aborted coup of 1981 was in many ways the brainchild of the
Libyan leader who recruited and trained Kukoi Samba Sanyang, among others,
to carry out the coup attempt.  Others would contend, however, that the
aborted coup was the result of growing domestic inequalities.  To date,
Kukoi is based in Libya, traveling incognito to Burkina Faso, The Gambia and
neighboring Guinea-Bissau and Liberia..."

Dr. saine,

This is a very interesting piece and there have been varied reactions to it.
Overall, I think it has catalouged many interesting developments in our
recent political history. One point I cannot understand though is how "the
aborted coup of 1981 was in many ways the brainchild of the Libyan leader
who recruited and trained Kukoi Samba Sanyang, among others, to carry out
the coup attempt"

It is a known fact that although Kukoi constantly broadcast calls for help
from Libya when it became apparent that senegal was going to intervene to
try to crush the "coup", he, Kukoi had never set foot on Libyan soil prior
to the 1981. Just a look at the primitive nature of the weapons used during
the initial stage of the "coup" is one testimony that we had here to do with
a single man's lust for power.

The myth of Libyan involvement was something concocted and peddled by Jawara
and his crew inorder to divert attention from the real causes behind the
coup and why there was mass jubilation, i.e., mass corruption, neglect, etc.

I only wish that Jawara himself could set the record straight here instead
of letting the myth linger that Libya was behind July 1981. Of course, I
agree with you that Kukoi did make contact with Libya whiles living in Cuba
and eventually secured facilities there that were supposed to enhanced his
second coming, there is no evidence to support libyan sponsorship of July
1981.

Regards,

Kabir.