GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:32:44 +0000
Momodou, thanks for bringing in a fresh perspective to this discussion and I
concur with your observations.  I doubt whether the PPP or NCP have working
constitutions.  If they do, I doubt that they contain anything that
addresses their current situations.  PPP was Jawara and Jawara was the PPP.
The same applies to the NCP with Sheriff Dibba.  You see the same set up
with the APRC, and NRP too.  Jammeh owns the APRC.  Such party structures
are centered around a personality.  Yes, after 30 years of loosing elections
the NCP stalwarts never once asked him to step down.  When Dibba thought
that Dembo By Force was in bed with the APRC, he orchestrated a preemptive
strike and made him leave the NCP, only to turn around and be Yaya's
favorite uncle for the time being.  What we tend to have as leaders are
actually Philosopher Kings and that is what our people want, it seems to me.
  Which is why when PDOIS came and said power rests with you, the people,
folks are still fighting with their mind.

Like Malcolm X said in his parable of the house slave and the field slave.
When both were given freedom as free persons, the field slave vanished out
of sight lest Masser changes his mind.  Whereas, the house slave refused to
walk away unless Masser walks with him.  The mind of the house slave was
poisoned with such thoughts as, where can I get better shoes and clothes
than that which Masser gave me?  Where can I eat better food than that which
Masser provides me?  Where can I get better housing than that which Masser
provides me?  If masser's house is on fire, the field slave pray for heavy
winds for the fire to claim all that Masser robbed from him.  Whereas, the
house slave would do everything to save the house.  If masser is sick, the
field slave would send the doctor the other direction, away from the Big
House, whereas, the house slave would would ask; what's the matter boss,
We's sick?  See, the house slave loves his masser more than his masser loves
himself.  That is the stage we are in.  The majority of us refused to be
liberated and contented to be led as house slaves.  Our people want to take
the offer, but are so stuck to the personality cult following that they are
used to over hundreds of years.  It's going to take time for this new
thinking to take hold, just as it did with the house slave.  Let's hope it's
within our life time, however the pace is not encouraging.

Thus, the NCP after the Dibba coup, is lost for direction and some are
contemplating just giving up and joining other parties.  The same applies to
the PPP.  What I see going on now is OJ trying to do damage control after
the APRC put the Mojo on Jawara.  He knows that the PPP following is to
Jawara and thus, is trying hard to still open the line of communication
because he cannot afford t loose Jawara for good to the APRC.  So far the
APRC have the upper hand it seems and we shall see how the saga unfolds in
the next weeks and months.  Good observations.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou