GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:52:34 EST
Assalaamu Alaikum,

With the approach of the Hajj, ( at Tobaski, in a couple of months) the
Pilgrimage to the Holy city of Makkah, which is incumbent on every muslim,
who can afford it, here is an informative series for those planning to
undertake this blessed journey.  The Prophet (SAS) said,  that the reward for
a Hajj that is accepted by Allah (SWT) is nothing less than a forgiveness of
all one's sins, and Paradise. For Hajj to be accepted by Allah (SWT), it must
be done correctly.May Allah (SWT) accept your Hajj.

Jabou Joh

Background of Hajj

Prophet Ibraheem's Legacy (Prophet Abraham PBUH)

Construction of the Ka'ba Sharif

Realization of Prophet Ibraheem's Prayer (PBUH)

Prophet Ibraheem's Legacy (peace be upon him)
Hajj demonstrates the essence of Islam which is belief in ONE SUPREME
UNIVERSAL GOD. Allah, ALONE. All the ceremonies a pilgrim performs, all the
places through which he goes during Hajj reminds him of a great deal of
history of this belief, Tawheed.
An inherent part of the history of Tawheed is the story of Prophet Ibraheem
(peace be upon him) who rebuilt the first House of Allah, the Ka'ba, as the
focal point for the worship of Allah ALONE.

The story of Prophet Ibraheem (Prophet Abraham, PBUH) is a long story of
great sacrifices and complete submission to Allah. Coming through tremendous
trials and sacrifices for the sake of Allah, he was elevated to the
leadership of mankind.

Allah said:

And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrāhim (Abraham) [i.e., Allāh] tried him
with (certain) Commands, which he fulfilled. He (Allāh) said (to him),
"Verily, I am going to make you an Imam (a leader) for mankind(to follow
you)." [Ibrāhim (Abraham)] said, "And of my offspring (to make leaders)."
(Allāh) said, "My Covenant (Prophethood) includes not Zālimūn (polytheists
and wrong-doers)."
(Al-Qur'an 2:124 )

When Ibraheem (peace be upon him) stood up to call people to the way of
Allah, a series of trials and mountains of calamities fell on him. He was
deported from his home, abandoned by his parents, relatives and friends,
thrown in the fire meant to burn him alive, and, at last, exiled by the king
of the country.
Ibraheem (peace be upon him) survived all these trials and stood as firm as a
rock for the sake of truth. While in exile he wandered in the parts of the
known world at that time calling to the path of Allah. But still he had to
face another trial from His Lord. He was blessed with a son at old age after
having completeiy despaired of it. Allah wanted to test him through this son
too as a final test, and ordered him to sacrifice his beloved son. Ibraheem
was successful in this test too. He took his son, Isma'eel to a mount called
Marwah near the Ka'ba and laid him prostrate, face down, to slaughter him
with his own hands. Satisfied with Ibraheem's complete submission and
profound love, Allah ransomed Isma'eel with a sacrificial animal. Nahr. (It
is in commemmoration of this very event that animals are sacrificed during
Hajj and by Muslims all over the world on the occasion of Id ul-Adha).

In this manner, leadership of humanity was entrusted to Ibraheem and he
became the pioneer of the universal Islamic movement. Now in order to give an
impetus to this movement, he felt the need of men who would settle down in
different areas and operate from there as his deputies.

Thus he appointed his elder son Isma'eel, younger son Ishaq (Isaac) and
nephew Lut (Lot) (PBUT) in various parts of the known world of that time.
Isma'eel was kept in Arabia at Makka and Ibraheem himself stayed with him for
a long time to spread the teaching of Islam in all parts of Arabia.

"They said: "Burn him and help your āliha (gods), if you will be doing."
We (Allāh) said: "O fire! Be you coolness and safety for Ibrāhim (Abraham)!"

(Al-Qur'an 21:68,69 )

They said: "Build for him a building (it is said that the building was like a
furnace) and throw him into the blazing fire!"
So they plotted a plot against him, but We made them the lowest.

And he said (after his rescue from the fire): "Verily, I am going to my Lord.
He will guide me!"

"My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous."

So We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy.

And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I
have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offer you in sacrifice to
Allāh), so look what you think!" He said: "O my father! Do that which you are
commanded, Inshā' Allāh (if Allāh wills), you shall find me of As-Sābirūn
(the patient)."

Then, when they had both submitted themselves (to the Will of Allāh), and he
had laid him prostrate on his forehead (or on the side of his forehead for
slaughtering);

And We called out to him: "O Abraham!

You have fulfilled the dream (vision)!" Verily! Thus do We reward the
Muhsinūn (good-doers - see V.2:112).

Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial.

And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice (i.e. - a ram);

And We left for him (a goodly remembrance) among the later generations.

Salāmun (peace) be upon Ibrāhim (Abraham)!"

(Al-Qur'an 37:97-109 )