GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:03:17 -0600
Hello, Halima and tohers...  It is one thing to defend your country against
attack.  When the vents of September 11 happened, America had to do
something, we couldn't just sit by and do nothign about it.  But it seems to
me that this perpetual war on terrorism isnt' going to stop.  And also, it
seems that a lot of innocent people are getting killed in the process.  It
seems tht in the last few weeks, the military has made a lot of mistakes and
bombed innocent people...  So then what is that going to do to America's
image aroudn the world?  If it looks like all we do is bomb innocent people
sleeping in their homes?
     Also, where is this all going to end?  Once we get done with
Afghanistan what's next?  It seems that in a lot of cases, anyone who
doesn't agree with the government's position can be labeled terrorism.  Or
anyone who doesn't happen to agree with what the US wants, they are all of a
sudden terrorists...
     "Terrorism" is such a subjective word.  I mean, if Americans are
bombing innocent people in Afghanistan, isn't that terrorism?  If we go and
overthrow a democratically electedd governmetn because they don't support
our policities, and then we institute a military government that does, is
that not terrorism...
     I keep hearing all of this talk about how we are fighting for freedom
and democracy.  But ti seems America only believes in freedom and democracy
when it suits their own interests.  Otherwise, we could care less, and in
fact, we prop up regimes that honor neither freedom or democracy...
     These are just soem thoguhts.  And I of course could be wrong.  And
maybe it is not necessarily wrong for America to serve their own interests.
But don't cloak those interets int he guise of fighting terrorism or
injustice or tyranny.  Let's just come out and admit what is really going on
and don't sugar coat it...
     Anyway, guess I'll go now, this email is getting a little long anyway.
Take care, everyone, and have a good day...
Ginny

Contact Info:

Yahoo Messenger: gmq0525

MSN Messneger: [log in to unmask]