GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 13:14:38 -0400
Toure, thanks for your contributions and a belated welcome to G_L. I sure am
glad that you are on our side (Good over Evil). I hope as we move towards
October, you will continue on your invaluable contributions to this forum
and elsewhere as we fight to get rid of tyranny in our society.

You were spot on when you discerned that "we are NOT dealing with normal
beings here and they should not be treated as such". We are dealing with
wild animals of the worst kind. See, legend has it that if a lion is not
hungry, he will not attack a prey. In other words, even animals do not
engage in unnecessary violence. Back home we have animals that will not
hesitate to murder children as young as three. We have grown men running
around Yaya behaving as if their whole existence depends on Yaya. If Yaya
does not give them food, they will not eat. These people forgot that they
were surviving when most Gambians have never heard Yaya's name. See the
'unnecessary violence' again? These people do not need to mortgage their
souls to the Devil in order to lead decent lives.

The second part of your sentence is actually what I regard as the most
important part; the way we should treat these vermin. For starters, we have
to be unequivocal in our hatred for them. We should not send them mixed
signals. Saying that someone is a kind murderer is an oxymoron. A
cold-blooded murderer cannot be kind. Therefore, we should not treat
murderers kindly. It will never be all right that our children were
massacred in broad daylight just to perpetuate a moron in power. We should
always have that at the back of our minds (if not at the forefront) until
justice is dispensed in that case.

There are a lot of despicable and illogical things these morons do. It is
important that one puts those things in perspective and deal with these
animals appropriately. Do not call Yaya a child murderer and a moron and a
thief and then shake his hand on national television celebrating our
country's independence from colonial rule. That sends a wrong message to
people.

I am sure you noticed that when Darboe was hailing the by-elections as 'free
and fair', I had come to G_L to say that election day might have been
hitch-free, but the election was NOT fair. I anticipated a day like this
when UDP might have to sing a slightly different tune. In all fairness to
Darboe though, I think he was mainly concentrating on what happened on
election day rather that characterizing the whole elections process as free
and fair. In any case, as you, Barrow and Hamjatta rightly pointed out and
Mballow gracefully accepted, it was ill-advised to give the IEC a clean bill
of health the way Darboe did. I think UDP will be doing themselves and
Gambians as a whole a big favor if they listen to us some more or at least
engage us in dialog where they will also voice their side of the story. We
are now saddled with problems that could have been avoided months ago. Be
that as it is, I, like Hamjatta, believe that there is light at the end of
the tunnel. When Darboe comes to Washington, DC, people should engage him
constructively. He is a very reasonable man and want as much as we do to get
rid of Yaya. I believe that like Mballow, when UDP is confronted with noble
ideas about how to salvage our country, they will pay heed. I hope I am
right in my belief. Darboe and all our leaders owe it to us to listen to the
people and incorporate all good ideas aimed at getting rid of tyranny in our
society.

Thanks again for your contributions and I look forward to many more. The way
you, Barrow and Hamjatta handled this matter together with Mballow shows
that we are on the right path. Shows tolerance in our midst. Shows that none
of us are fanatically supporting a party like the APRC sycophants that would
not even tell their party leaders that slaughtering children in broad
daylight is wrong. We engage our leaders in respectful dialog and try to
convince them with good ideas.
KB