GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:53:30 EDT
Your "excellency" Bokarr Sey, it is absolutely shocking and sad that you have
chosen this moment to further your government's cause.  As an official
representative of the Gambia govt, you should have joined all of us in
condemning what happened today.  Instead you chose to represent yourself and
govt by using half truths and half baked statements.

In your attempt to dissociate the regime from today's tragic incident you
state:
I want to put it you personally that there is no one amongst us serving under
Jammeh and Jammeh himself who would be so irresponsible to order the massacre
of students
Unquote

commanders in the GNA do not serve under Jammeh?  Unless the military chain
of command has completely crumbled, your statement, coming from the Gambian
Ambassador to France, should be considered as a shameful attempt to cover the
truth.

In your continuing bumbled attempt to defend I don't know what, you state:
I want those of you whirling accusations to know that some of those students
who lost their lives are closely related to people working under Jammeh.Some
are related to Jammeh himself. Did you know that?
Unquote

This statement is not relevant in relation to what happened today.  As far as
most of us are concerned, all that counts is that innocent students were
killed today.  I even doubt the validity of the statement you made since
there is no evidence to support your claims.

Unfortunately, you have chosen this time to defend your regime.  But history
has been the best judge of tyrants and their coconspirators.  Time will tell!

Yus