GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yankuba Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:50:43 -0500
List content filtering is a dicey issue with me but I think in our case it
might go a long way in addressing the main issue that faces us today,
mainly;

the issue of delisting people from the list resulting from usage of
unacceptable language\words.

Even though I have not been on the list that long, I have noticed that most
of the incidents where people have been delisted were a result of them
using certain words or language deemed unacceptable by the list management
or some members on the list.

Content filtering will essentially allow the List managers to configure the
content filter to automatically reject messages with certain unwanted or
inappropriate content from getting posted to the list.

Essentially if someone posts a message to the list with certain words o
language it would simply be rejected and will continue to be rejected until
the words are omitted from the message. In essence most of the messages
with unacceptable words\language will never get to the list hence saving
all of us and the list management the headache of debating whether to
delist someone or not because of inappropriate language.

Some might deem this as censoring (including myself) but am sure there are
certain words that we all agree should never be used on the list. Initially
some messages with unacceptable language\words might get through but with
time am sure the list of words can be fine-tuned to add more words etc.

And I'd rather go with limited censoring than having to endure the events
of the last few days again. This issue has simply taking too much energy
and if not addressed could lead to the demise of good, intelligent and
amicable discus on GL.

Anyways, just a thou
ght

Thanks