GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:25:20 +0000
This is telling the cat is out of the bag, Gambia's educational programme is
in crisis. If the principal of Gambia High school acknowledged that there is
not enough subvention going to the school then this scenario could be
replicated to all the state assisted schools, if this is the case then the
loosers would be none other that the ordinary tax payers who cannot afford
expensive private tuitions. Thus many of their children would be
disadvantaged for a school without learning facilities bis bound to produce
inferior results. Having been to the UN children confrence and making a
challenging swpeech one would have thought that at least in the field of
education progress is being recorded but from the appeals of a senior
principal it is evident that education is not the priority, eventhough there
is much verbal emphasis on it. I hope the authorities would put their money
where their mouth is, for it is not enough to globe trot giving sermons when
at the relivant point the3re is no delivery. For any country to achievement
any meaningful development education has to be at the epicenter, failure to
acknowledge will only foil the progress of the future generations. I hope
the author4ities will heed to calls of the principal and inject6 enough
resources so as to enable them to accomplish their work without any
hinderance.

I know the arguement had been that more schools were built, well that is a
commendable thing but we must avoid such buildings becoming redundant and
that would be the case if no resources are allocated to ensure their smooth
operations. I hope more teachers and principals will expose the ndire
conditions they work in without any resources so that theier course for
better funding could be championed. Members of parliament are there for a
reason, they could ask the relivant questions to get the relivant answers,
for instance Gambians may want to compare the defe4nce budget to that of
education and agriculture, by knowing such information a governments
priority will be clear.

I hope the rhetoric will cease and the reality prevails.