GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:21:23 -0700
Dampha,
       i never wanted to participate in this debate
but i think i owe the topic my personal opinion to be
known.
 I will begin by thanking you for defending the truth
on this particular topic.I am saying this because the
fact of the matter on this topic is not whether
Chongan ever violated anybody's right or not but
whether Chongan deserve commendation for coming out to
the G-L and narrating about his darkest days during
his detention at the mile 2 central prison in 1994.

What is expected from the members of the L is to
encourage other ex-detainee s to come forward and tell
the side of their stories but not to condemn
Mr.Chongan because that would mean intimidating others
who intended to come.

Secondly,from the day of the coup until today,i have
never heard any gambian be it in the country or
outside, claiming that Chongan once pointed a gun at
him or attempted to kill him.From the day of the coup
to date,i have never heard any body claiming that
Chongan abused his powers during his time in office
because the AFPRC military Junta invited people to
come forward and tell their stories whoever was once
mal treated by the detainee s but no one came forward
therefore,for anyone to come out now and attempt to
discredit him after he has narrated his story would
mean a personal grudge,honestly.

We have the gambian press but i doubt if any one ever
came across any article stating that Chongan went to a
Prison camp and tortured prisoners or robbed gambians?

Even if that ever happened,now is not the right time
to portrait Chongan.One should have done that when
they were brought to the Banjul Magistrate court.As
for now the topic is what happened to Chongan,Ebou
Colly,Amat Cham,RSM Jeng and whoever was detained
during the same period with them.

I am 100% sure that neither Chongan,Amat Cham,Ebou
Colly nor Jeng would tell you that they know me but
when it comes to a point for one to tell his honest
opinion,i will do regard less of what.

I am sorry if i have offended anybody.
Saihou