GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 10:30:02 EST
Gambia-L,
Again another piece from allafrica.com courtsey of the Point newspaper. The
piece was apparently penned by a very honest supporter of the mad man in
Kanilai. For those who still think that the gov't has acted and continues to
act honorably towards the farming community, i beg you to come forward and
rescue the tortured logic of its wholly impractical position. Simply put, let
them tell us why we should still put with Jammeh's economic vandalism and
hustling by frauds and low-lifes?

************************

Farmers Deceived By Government
    <A HREF="http://allafrica.com/sendpage.html">Email</A> This Page

<A HREF="http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200103030073.html">Print</A> This Page
>        >

<A HREF="http://allafrica.com/publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Point&passed_location=empty">The Point</A> OPINION
March 2, 2001
Posted to the web March 3, 2001 Banjul As a concerned citizen who belongs to
the party and government, but self-employed for over 24 years, I will like to
express my personal feelings on how the Groundnuts trade seasons operates in
The Gambia, from 1998 to date. Now every conscious citizen knows that the
government is not directly responsible for the groundnut purchasing, but it
is the leading player of the season.To my own observation, what government
announced over the radio and TV is never practicable. For example, the head
of state, supreme commander and leader of the government announced on his
meet the peoples tour that the groundnut trade season this year will be far
different from those years (1998 to 2001). Unfortunately, in my own home
town, Bansang, cash supplies came four to five times, but up to now there is
a serious need of cash to pay NOTEE and to buy more groundnuts.The secco of
Bansang needs nothing less than one million dalasis to pay and buy stored
groundnuts. As a committed member of the party, this system makes one more
disturbed and leaves a deep sense of confusion. I would like to assure the
leader of government that what is always being announced over the air
concerning supply of cash for the trade season is not at all attractive. For
example, the situation at the last Koriteh prayers was very serious for the
poor farmers. Simply, two-thirds of the farmers who sold their groundnuts
were not paid. Eventually, there were lots of rumours that farmers were
always been fooled by the government.When I challenged that version, the
reply used to be "the president himself said this during his meet the peoples
tour." As the leader of the nation, and not a politician, be careful of your
words. Our dearest nation is one of the most peaceful nations in the
sub-region, and I recommended you as one of the best leaders in the
sub-region, far different from the former corrupt regime of Jawara. What is
the most serious complain in this peaceful country, however, is the state of
the groundnut trade season, and the need for price control of sugar, candle,
rice and electricity as far as the Bansang community is concerned. Half a
loaf is better than nothing, in terms of electricity, but if the half loaf is
infected the supply of electricity becomes more serious. I am confident that
all the groundnuts will be bought, but let us think of the time factor. The
last Koriteh, as I explained, there was a little amount of money supplied.
Here the Tobasky is also fast approaching, and I will like to appeal to the
head of state to make sure every farmer has got his share. Of course, I am
quite aware it is not the government's responsibility, but farmers could not
understand this, and you cannot make them to understand simply because they
are still saying that president Jammeh said this while on his meet the
peoples tour, which I quite agreed with.Now, if this system cannot be changed
by the agents, I advise president Jammeh to re-consider the role of agents
and the poor farmers. I wrote a personal letter to the president, and hope he
must be thinking and responding positively.As a leader, and not a politician,
never promise and fail. I am a committed member of the party, but I hope it
is my duty to contribute towards improving the nation's general situation in
one way or the other.

Hamjatta - Kanteh

 </HTML>