GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:19:49 PST
I think sometimes when military coups take place we sometimes jubilate too
quickly,for one reason or another ,but one thing is for sure, military coups
have been the key factor in the political instability of many African
countries. The present state Somalia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Liberia, Congo and
others attest to this fact. Experience has shown that when they seize power,
they talk more about what is wrong and reason for taking over power,they
themselves end up doing the same. Infact the AFPRC regime's paralysis and
inepitude is a manifestation of this phenonenon.

If one were to ask a coup leader just after taking power, he would chant
endlessly about accountability, probity, transparancy and the like.

Since the late 1960's West African politics have been dominated by military
intervention. It is becoming obvious that unless this trend is haltred, peace
and democracy will forever elude the sub-continent.

What will the new mellinium bring for us? Will it be a century free of
military coup? Will the military  focus more on development issues or planning
take overs? These are issues we have to asked ourselves.
One thing i believe should be a start for the military in African especially
West African is to involve in practical development issues rather than just
receiving salaries and having enough time to plan coup. I believe if the Army
members are trainied in skilled jobs which can be part of their curriculum to
be use in the development process. We will witnes lesser coup detats and more
responsible military force.

The army is been fed on public funds and for that reason should be in the
service of the people.

The Struggle Continues!!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Here is an excerp from a correspondence regarding the coup in Ivory Coast.

Jabou

<< I agree with you and all the other colleagues who are enthusiastic about
the
 change of leadership in Cote d'Ivoire.  I have watched the new President
very
 closely and weighed his every word carefully.  He is to me an earnest
humanist,
 a patriotic military philosopher-statesman who has used his "passage in the
 desert" to develop his mind and spirit and reflect on the future of his
country.
 He means well, he knows what he wants, his time is right and if there is any

man
 able to pull if off, he has a good chance.

 Nevertheless, a word of caution from a long-term observer of the military in
 government; after all, my country - Nigeria - holds the record in the
region.
 Most military leaders start with public applause on taking over.  But the
 acclamations seldom last.  Firstly, military rulers are products of a system
 that requires "total obedience" and the implementation of orders "with
immediate
 dispatch".  Operating in the political arena which requires debate,
discussion
 and consensus runs against their acquired nature and training.  They become
 testy, impatient and hence resort to the instrument they master the most:
force
 and coercion, and hence, dictatorship.  Secondly, economic and public sector
 management is a complex undertaking that requires time, patience and
 consultation - with internal stakeholders, with external partners and is
subject
 to the vagaries of the international political environment.  Yet, time and
 patience are two requirements the militricians (military-politicians à la
 Nigerian) do not have at their disposal.  They are under constant pressure
 return to democracy and "constitutional order".

 Thirdly, coup d'etats are usually accompanied by high expectations from the
 population.  But since take-overs usually happen during periods of economic
 down-turn, the financial means to meet the often too high expectations are
 usually not available within the time-frame the new rulers have to work.
With
 popular needs unsatisfied and expectations unmet, dissilution sets in, the
 population forget yesterday's pains and the clamor for yet another change
 resurges.

 Finally, power is sweet.  As a wise man once said:  "power corrupts, and
 absolute power corrupts absolutely".   Military rulership is invariably
 absolute.  The general might be the most honest and disciplined man in the
 world, but few human spirits are able to resist the temptations of  power -
its
 perquisites, the horde of sycophants and hangers-on whispering in his ears
that
 he is the "savior", the "messiah" the country has been waiting for.  He is
then
 likely to look at the presidential candidates - especially where they had
once
 served in the military under "his command" - and feel he could definitely do
 better.  Then the hedging on time-tables for elections start.  What's more,
in
 an atmosphere like here in Cote d'Ivoire, the temptation is high that one of

the
 political parties will start encouraging him to either perpetuate his stay
as
 military ruler (if only to deny the hated opponent from having a chance) or
 contest as "their" presidential candidate.  And then again, we are back to
 square one.

 I do not want to spoil the party.  I repeat that Cote d'Ivoire is two-fold
 lucky:  (a) to have a new chance to rebuild its
 crumbling socio-political house; and (b) to have a strong, self-confident
and
 humane personality like General Guei leading the process.  But you have to
be
 careful, no, watchful is a better word.  Watch out that the "oaths of
 allegience" currently being pledged by all the political parties, NGOs and
other
 members of the civil society are not taken as licence to do whatever the
regime
 deems right.  Trust is good, control is better.  The Ivorian intelligentsia
must
 observe closely every move they make,  be ready with warning posts.

 As for the international community, history has taught us that "principled"
 hypocrisy and self-interest are classic instruments in global economic and
 political relations.  I am sure Ivorians will not have to go back to
 "cassava-leaves".  You will still have them, as the delicacies they are, as
well
 as the other foreign goodies you have developed the taste for.  You just
have to
 know how to play the game.