GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:56:55 EDT
Matarr,

The European press and the international news media, and the Independent news
sources here in the U.S have been the source of the truth in this whole
conflict, and they are to be commended for mainting the integrty of
journalism as opposed to what we have here in the U.S.
I watched on CNN when the Iraqis were saupposedly massed in that square to
bring down that statue. There was one muscular guy with a large sledge
hammer, ( wonder where he got it) and another guy who was just play acting
with his hands at striking the statue. There was a small crowd gathered,
watching. After a short while, the muscular guy and the other one gave up,
and the small crowd dispersed. CNN had their cameras poised and continuing
commentary about this "crowd". Well, it became really obvious that there was
really no large crowd, and suddenly, Paula Zann who kept talking about this
large crowd said, "well, we have lost the view of the base of the statue
where the crowd is gathered, so we cannot see them anymore." I could not
believe it.
The U.S soldiers brought a tank and pulled the statue down after a short
while. They should have just done it in the first place, but I think that in
addition to the drama they wanted to convey, there was probably a bit of
psychology in play there since they probably were not sure of the reaction of
the people if they just pulled this huge  statue down, so they got a couple
of  the Iraqis involved  first.
At the start of the war when they entered the first towns in Iraq, the tanks
were rolling over monuments with pictures of Saddam, and this was shown on
CNN. So the idea was clearly their's.
At any rate, it should be interesting how things unfold.

Jabou