GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:23:47 +0000
Ya-Soffie,
There is a mandinka explanation of the three lines we all have on the palm
of our left hands. They go thus:

Line 1: You are told;

Line 2: you dont hear;

Line 3: you see.

In the build-up to the presidential election it had been argued that the "
two coalition formula is  recipe for Jammeh victory." There were even up to
the very last moments, expressions of hope that something would happen which
could engender atleast some kind of unity between the two coalitions, but
all to no avail!
The fact is, all the criticisms that are being put forward now were there
before the signing of the MOU between the coalition partners and the
A(F)PRC. Most of us knew about the flawed electoral process as several
contributors on this forum and others elaborated on it. Notwithstanding we
committed ourselves to that process. Infact by signing the MOU with the
dictatorship, one can argue that the coalition leadership did not show any
indication that it shared the conviction that the electoral process was
flawed.
Furthermore, even before the emergence of NADD, many of us stressed the
significance of a united opposition as a viable means of getting rid of the
dictatorship. We had that Grand Coalition, but in the eleventh hour, it
broke up into two, with a number of serious political ramifications.
For the way forward, we should all accept the errors committed, and resolve
to come together as a united opposition to take on the dictatorship at the
polls in January. If we dont, we would be in for some other rude awakening.
For January, I raise my voice with this prognosis: THE TWO COALITION FORMULA
IS RECIPE FOR A DECIMATED OPPOSITION IN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY!
Omar Joof.