GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Craig Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:39:35 GMT+1200
Hello fellow members,

I am a new member of this talk group and would like to offer my
sincere greetings to all existing members out there. It is great to be
in contact with so many people who are attached to or interested in
The Gambia.

Let me begin by introducing myself. My name is Craig Thomspon
and I am the Programme Leader of the Bachelor of Tourism
Management here at Waiariki Institute of Technology in Rotorua,
New Zealand. I am also a doctoral candidate at the University of
Strathclyde in Glasgow. My thesis is focussed on the (macro and
micro) environmental factors influencing the mobilisation of
entrepreneurs in the tourism sector.

I am focussing on The Gambia, and have already completed two
primary research visits. The main objective of the research is to
identify what factors promote and stymie (or control)
entrepreneurial operations in LDC's. Based on this research some
recommendations may be forthcoming as to how LDC's can foster
and promote entrepreneurial growth. In fact during the last visit I
assisted with the formation of Deegoo, now Gambia Tourism
Concern.

However, since coming 'down under' my PhD has slipped into a
hole and so, I fear, have all my former contacts in The Gambia.
This is a real problem since I now want to get my research back on
track and actually produce some useful results. As a result I am
returning to The Gambia in January for three weeks (January 7th -
28th, 2000) and desperately need to contact people who have a
good knowledge of The Gambia in 1999.

So I was wondering if there was anyone out there who was willing
and able to help me in my quest. To put you in the picture with
regards to who I want to contact; to start with I need to
(re)establish my knowledge of the tourism context in The Gambia
and so would like to talk to any influential people (Governmental,
regulatory, public or private sector), secondly I need to interview
people who could be classed as entrepreneurs, operating in the
tourism sector. The definition I would use for entrepreneur in this
case, is a person who has identified and exploited and opportunity,
regardless of the resources they control. So this may include hotel
or restaurant owners, batik makers or wood carvers, guides or
bumsters. Essentially I would like to interview the people who have
done (or are doing) something different, which is benefiting
them...and maybe others.

If you are able to suggest anyone who would fit this bill..or who
may be able to help me in my search I would be most appreciative.
As I need to arrange the interviews before I leave I would appreciate
the names and contact details (e-mail, fax, address) of any person
you consider may be appropriate.

Of course if you don't have names to suggest but would like to
make other comments or suggestions, I would love to hear from
you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Craig

Craig Thompson
Programme Leader, Bachelor of Tourism Management
Waiariki Institute of Technology
Rotorua

Tel. (07)-346-8663
Fax. (07)-346-8680