GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:48:12 CEST
Kadhafi Commends Evolution Of Europe-Africa Relations
April 4, 2000

Ali Dellali
PANA Correspondent

Cairo, Egypt (PANA) - Libyan leader Col. Moammar Kadhafi, in a speech full
of intelligence and historical plain truths, urged for mutual respect
between Africa and Europe to mark a new chapter in the continent's relations
at the just ended Africa-Europe summit in Cairo.

"I am not going to bore you with figures. I am going to talk about the
general principles which I deem necessary," he said in his speech as
spokesman of the Community of Sahelian-Saharan States and co-ordinator of
the peace process in the Great Lakes region.

Kadhafi also acknowledged the "historic" character of the meeting.

"When Africa and Europe get together for a friendly meeting devoted to peace
and disease control, this means a change in the history of the world," he
noted.

Kadhafi denounced what he called the "demon's language" of Europe.

"We met on the battlefield for over 100 years, colonialist Europe was
defeated. And here we are at a round table, far from the massacres and guns
which were the demon's language," he said.

This language has disappeared to "give way to another logic," the Libyan
leader explained, adding that today's enemies are illiteracy, diseases,
environmental pollution."

"We thank God for seeing Europe, which used to crush us under the hooves of
its horses, regain sense and maturity," he noted.

According to Kadhafi, "there is now a new generation of Europeans without
complexes, with whom we can build a new world with a new mentality, who
speak about democracy, peace and human rights."

"When we talk about compensation for the damages sustained under
colonialism, and for landmines planted by colonialists in our soil, we want
that there be no repeat of colonialism," he stressed.

Kadhafi commended the Cairo meeting, which was "unthinkable in the past,"
saying nobody could imagine that Europeans would sit at a table with
Africans and say they are willing to help the latter.

He commended the example of French President Jacques Chirac, who announced
his country's decision to write off the debt owed by poor African countries,
and Italy, which pledged to follow suit.

Kadhafi stressed that "the most important thing to do is to restore
confidence between the two groups of states."

"In the past, we use to blame colonialist countries anytime there was a
military coup or a head of state was killed in Africa. There was no
confidence," the Libyan leader said.

He also noted conflicting views on certain issues. "When we talk about
liberation, you call it terrorism," he explained, stressing the need for
"dialogue without complacency."

Kadhafi called on Europe to cultivate the virtues of frankness and
confidence in its relations with Africa, to ensure "genuine co-operation
between the two continents."

Europe should renounce the practice of corruption and refrain from
exploiting ethnic differences in Africa.

"Today's world is not a world of ethnic groups, races, religions or
languages. It is the world of common spaces and interests. The contrary
would be reactionary, outdated by globalisation," Kadhafi said.

Kadhafi urged leaders from both groups to behave like "equal partners."

He denounced as "colonialist" European plans for armed intervention in
Africa, the various forms of dialogue or partnership between the EU and
North Africa, and appellations such as "Francophone Africa" or "Anglophone
Africa".

He expressed doubts on Europe's independence vis- -vis the United States,
saying that the African continent, which must be "a single entity," accepted
a "united Europe" dealing with a "united Africa" as sole responsible for the
management of its own destiny.

Kadhafi also raised the issues of democracy and human rights, acknowledging
the differences in points of view. "Each region has its traditions and
conceptions," he noted.

"We are happy because colonialist Europe has given way to a new era which
should be preserved," Kadhafi added.

After stressing the need to take into account the dignity of Africa, Kadhafi
commended the advent of a "new Europe" and the holding of the "historic
meeting" in Cairo, and called for similar meetings to be held in future.