GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 12:01:12 -0500
Hello, perhaps I should say that theSIC, in its current form, should
not have any authority to say anything about hte Qur'an!  If they can
let Jammeh use it in such a blasphemous way, i.e. holding it while
rubbing oitment on semi-nude women, etc., and otherwise use it in his
"curing" episodes, and also otherwise use Islam to further entrech
himself (why isn't the SIC saying anything about all of that?) then
turn around and say that the Ahmadiyya can't translate it and that all
Islamic matters go through them, to me that is hypocritical!

If you are going to be an organization who oversees *all* Islamic
affairs, then you have to speak out against things, even if it's
against your own President!  I'm not addressing the Ahmadiyya, etc.,
and who does, or doesn't have a right to translate the Qur'an.  If the
SIC should be the sole body who over seems Islamic matters in The
Gambia, then should every country have an Islamic body?  If we here in
the US, can translate Islamic texts, without an overseeing body, than
why not The Gambia?

In my mind, the SIC has lost all moral authority to oversee anything
Islamic or otherwise!  That is what I'm trying to say, because when
they allow one thing but want to disallow something else, then that's
hypocrisy, and we all know that hypocrisy is worse than disbelief!
Perhaps if the SIC had been doing its job thoroughly and not showing
favor by letting Jammeh misuse Islam, the Qur'an, etc., then I'd feel
differently about the issue!  But these people have shown no authority
and have no leg to stand on regarding the Ahmadiyya!

But I guess since Jammeh's "healing" people and he's a "Muslim" while
"those Ahmadis are just kafirs", well, then I guess the SIC is OK!

I wonder why no one seems to be calling the SIC out on their
hypocrisy!  The only reason I can come up with is that the other
erstwhile commentors dislike the Ahmadiyyas *more* than they dislike
Jammeh's misuse of Islamic symbols (and the SIC's seeming endorsement
of it by not speaking out against it!)

Listen, I'm not sure that I agree with having a Supreme Islamic Concil
anyway, as Sunni Muslims (as Gambinas are to my knowledge) don't have
any kind of "hierarchy" like other religious groups do.  However, if
there is going to be a religious body drawn up to supervise the
religious affairs of the communities they are seeking to serve, then
they need to be neutral, impartial, and not in bed with the current
political leadership nor seeking to curry favor withthem, or
displaying sycophancy toward them!

Thus, my conclusion that the SIC, in its current incarnation, has no
right or moral authority to tell the Ahmadiyya anything, unless and
until they speak out against other ills they see!  Regarding the
traditional Eid visits, that would be a perfect time to advise Jammeh!

That's all I'm saying!  If  people want to support Jammeh's misuse of
Islam, indirectly albeit, by supporting the SIC, just because the SIC
is speaking out against someone or something that they don't
particualrly like, then go right ahead!  I'd like to know why people
weren't speaking out when those videos of Jammeh came out and he was
supposedly "curing" people, with recitations of the Qur'an playing in
the background!  I didn't see anyone speak out then!  And to me that's
just plain hypocrisy, pure and simple!

Ginny