GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:33:18 EDT
As we inch closer to the day when Yaya is to be forcibly removed from
office, we will post plans outlining the steps needed to run an interim
government pending the Restoration Of Democracy through free and fair
elections.  The plan to elect a new Government will be executed in a
100-days from the day Yaya is removed from office.

A group of dedicated Gambians will create an environment conducive to
handing over power to a democratically elected government.  A prominent
Gambian currently enjoying an illustrious career in the international arena
with no political ambitions will take a sabbatical leave to head this
interim government.  In future postings, a list of potential individuals to
take up this challenge will be given.  The interim President will be aided
by a cabinet made up of professionals with no ambitions of running for an
elective office.  The only seat in the cabinet occupied by military or
ex-military personnel will be the Defense portfolio.

The interim government will suspend the constitution.  Appropriate
amendments will be made to the constitution. In future postings detailed
information on these amendments will be made available.

Commissions of inquiries will be set up with plenary powers to dispense
justice swiftly.   Yaya, his officials, friends, families, etc will all be
prosecuted and dealt with accordingly.  Future postings will outline the
process.   If you thought Yaya was vindictive, you have not seen anything
yet.

This government will not engage in any major development projects.  Ongoing
projects will be assessed and tailored to benefit the country.  The only
objectives of the interim administration will be to clean up the country and
organize elections to hand over power.

We will make future posting amplifying the above steps that will lead to the
Restoration of Democracy in the Gambia.  We encourage debate over some of
the issues posted.  However, we will execute these and other endeavors
regardless of the consensus we reach.
By God, this is something more important than anything else:

WE MUST GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.