GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:38:24 +0100
Quoting Ngorr Ciise <[log in to unmask]>:

"........... Where it is more worrying, horrifying and even ghastly is when
young teenage girls are exhorted on the
grounds of "matyrdom" to "sacrifice" themselves for the cause......."

Mr Ciise
Very subtle observation indeed but (in trying to make sense of the murderous
acts and by no means condoning any of it) I also think you will find that it is
indeed hopelessness that encourages these barbaric acts. I do not believe for
one second that a child who has his/her whole life to live for (in dignity and
self determination) will wear an explosive belt around her waist to take her
life and in the process kill innocent Israelis.
A young child who has hopes of one growing up to be an engineer, a doctor, a
scientist etc will not do such acts, but on the other hand a child that only
sees daily humiliation and subordination of his/her people, and see no hope of
it ending needs no encouragement from anyone to try to harm the people he/she
sees as the cause of all her problems.

NB:- Like yourself and many others, i do not condone it at all for I think it
harms the Palestinian cause, but as my British-Palestinian mate Usman told me
the other day "Dave you do not have any idea what it feels like to be
constantly harangued, stopped from visiting families who live on the other side
of your own town, or have your newly built houses bulldozed by the Israelis
just because you have not asked for planning permission from them in your own
land (after the PA have already given you the go ahead), have you shot dead for
throwing stones etc". I had to concede to him that that i think that is indeed
the ultimate test of one's patience if not humanity if ever there is one.
He also reminded of me the Brufut land crisis and how  mad i felt (I hang
around with him and I was telling anyone who cares to listen even bird flying
pass :-), he told me to multiply that a million times and add humiliation and
subjugation to it. I had to concede yet again, i think it will be a tough call.
I think personally ( and I've told him so) that it's time that a new tactic be
employed by his people. And i strongly believe in this, and it is thus:- some
sort of civil rights movement,  for i think that will rouse the world's
apathetic conscience and also take away the only excuse the Israelis have. For
if innocent people hold hands and walk on the cities in Israel proper and in
the territories (no stone throwing whatsoever) and they are fired upon, it will
show up Sharon for who he really is, a wicked overweight old man, who does not
want to see a viable peace in the middle east, and who ,like a dying out
dinosaur stubbornly thinks he can hold the whole world hostage by lying and
covert manipulation tactics.

Regards

Manneh