GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 00:47:05 EST
Thank you Alpha Robinson.Mr Sallah will also have to excuse me for making him
even more uncomfortable here, but you express my sentiments exactly( in your
posting below)in a much more eloquent way than l would have been able to do.

Familiaring myself with the work that Halifa and PDOIS have been engaged in
all the while, has certainly been an eye opener that has renewed my hope in
the future of our country. This, while those whose only contribution has been
to rob our country and our people blind ,and feed an insatiable power
hungriness pound their chests, and the cronies  of yet another generation of
opportunists devise ever more deceitful ways to pull the wool over our eyes.

However, this is the dawn of a new day in Gambian politics, a new day where
people are more politically aware, and some of that credit has to go where it
belongs. Namely to the people who have made it their business and their
life's work not to be mesmerized by "cheap power", to be in touch with the
common folk, teaching them that they matter, and that the taxes paid by the
market seller who sells her "kani" on a piece of sack cloth, is equally as
precious as those paid by the millionaire. That their  tax money, voices and
their votes are needed otherwise there will be no government, and no money to
spend on fancy cars that the politicians ride in with arrogance.That even the
borrowed millions are to be paid by none other than the  sweat and blood of
these common folk.That as their representatives, their government has the
responsibility to address their  every need, and that it is these parameters
that the people need to use to determine who has their interest at heart, and
who does not. Mr sallah and PDOIS have and continue to do all the above, by
working on the grassroots level, with the common people, and thereby know
what ails them, and what their needs are, and went even further to devise
some  solutions to  these problems even with the meager resources they have
to work with.This is the mark of true leadership, and this is what we need.

If anyone else wants to grab our attention, it will have to be with something
equally substantial that we can sink our teeth into, and the arena is wide
open.But please be forewarned, manipulation, trickery and attempts to
discredit do not and cannot qualify as acceptable methods.  Let those who
think that cunning, manipulation and the smearing of people's character is
what will win them or those they support a position in the hall's of Gambian
leadership think again.Gone are the days of  politicians operating on "the
embicile factor" And just what is "the embicile factor"? It is when
politicians and their supporters operate on the assumption that those whose
votes they are seeking are stupid. Tell them anything,make up any stories,
promise them anything until you get their vote, and then do as you please,
because they are not sophisticated enough to know the idifference anyway, to
think throught the issues and decide what is fact or fiction, what arguments
hold water and which do not.

Mr Sallah, the jury is out as far as l am concerned, and all l see is
credibility, competence and an undying dedication to the betterment of our
people and our country. As we say on the L, keep up the good work down
there.Some of us are wide awake with our feet planted firmly on the ground,
and those numbers are climbing at an alarming rate.Truth will never be the
equal of fiction.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 12/10/99 1:25:34 AM Central Standard Time,