GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:03:12 +0200
From: Elum aniap Godfrey Ayoo
To: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
Cc: Edward Mulindwa
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 10:23 PM
Subject: East African Standard

"And Djibouti pulls out of Somalia peace mediation
      NAIROBI

      Djibouti has withdrawn as one of the mediators in efforts to bring peace in Somalia to protest against what officials said today was a lack of "all-inclusive" negotiations in the peace talks. Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya are members of the technical committee of three countries spearheading Somalia's 14th peace conference being held in Nairobi.

      But the tiny Red Sea State of Djibouti said in a statement that it was pulling out of the role because the way the talks are proceeding locks out key players and promotes divisions in Somalia. "It is a sad thing that the technical committee has signally failed to achieve genuine reconciliation between the Somalis," Ismail Goulal, Djibouti's special envoy to the

      Somalia peace talks said in a statement.

      "Djibouti can no longer be part of a process that is aimed at creating the exact opposite of what it was originally meant to achieve," he added.

      Somalia disintegrated into anarchy after former dictator Mohammed Siad Barre was toppled in 1991 as clans pressured by famine and political turmoil launched battles for territory.

      The warring parties agreed on a transitional constitution on September 15 intended to steer the ruined Horn of Africa country to stability. Kenyan mediators said they had not received any official communication from Djibouti on its withdrawal but added that they are trying to convince Hassan to return to the Nairobi talks. -Reuters

as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, 'When will you be satisfied?' We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities (.) No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream". (Martin Luther King, 1964 Nobel Peace prize laureate, assassinated for his struggle)