GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
tester testers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:29:14 -0800
I read your comments and would like to commend you for
reaching out to the hinterland.  I can imagine how
tough it has been for you especially traveling to the
remote corners of the country.  I hope it has been
fruitful and worth the trek.

My question is this:  Illiteracy within rural Gambians
is probably running at 70-80% (I'm guessing).  Also,
when so much of the votes are bought (you know what I
mean) from these rural dwellers by the current regime,
what is the probability of gaining ANY votes.  Take
the Jawara gov't for e.g., at the peak of corruption,
injustice and all other social ills, they still
managed to win elections by an overwhelming majority,
ALWAYS.

If blacks in the U.S. depended on congress to ban
slavery, or allow equal voting rights, god knows how
long that would take.  But through continuous
demonstrations, speeches etc, they were able to create
awareness even at the international level.  When such
was the case, congress had no choice but pass laws
against injustice and suppression of blacks.

What I'm trying to get at is that, I don't believe
that voting will ever remedy the turmoil we're all in.
 I firmly do believe however, that demonstrations
(peaceful) and other forms of social awareness would
be more effective than asking people to cast their
votes.

On another note, I am discontinuing all previous
discussions, and look forward to see your postings and
updates.  Good Luck and keep me posted.

Essa Thomas