GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:20:19 +0000
All, our SOS for Energy is on the prowl for a deal, watch your wallet!!

Jammeh denies Eskom deal
By Malick Mboob
Oct 4, 2004, 09:11

Email this article
Printer friendly page

President Yahya Jammeh has denied reports that his trip to South Africa was
to sign a deal with Eskom, a major supplier of electricity in Africa, to
take over from Nawec.

Speaking to journalists at the Banjul International Airport on his return
from a five day working visit to South Africa and Tanzania on Saturday,
President Jammeh said: “I am aware of the lies that were said by the press
that I am going to sign a deal with Eskom to come and take over. The issue
of Nawec did not take me to South Africa.”

Admitting that Gambians are suffering, the President noted that the power
outages are becoming unbearable, adding that he has a better solution to the
electricity problems. He however declined to elaborate further.

President Jammeh also said there is need for leaders in the continent to
encourage inter-African trade and partnership in order to create more jobs.
He added that there is a lot of “external” trade on the African continent
which he said is detrimental to the continent’s socio economic development.

“We want to encourage inter-African partnerships and inter-African trade
because governments see that there is very little trade between African
states. A lot of our trade is external. As long as we do not trade within
ourselves. As long as there is little economic activities between African
states, development is always in need of...,” he said.

President Jammeh said his visit to Tanzania among other things was to see
what The Gambia can achieve technologically in the area of agriculture.
“They are very advanced in agricultural research and The Gambia is an
agricultural economy,” he noted.

He added that both countries have universities which will help in the areas
of exchange programmes and to establish faculties that are not in the
University of The Gambia.

The President was accompanied by Babucarr Blaise Jagne, Sulayman Sait Mboob
and Edward Singhateh, the secretaries of state Foreign Affairs, Agriculture
and Trade, Industry and Employment respectively.