GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:39:40 EDT
Dr. Touray, thanks for forwarding this report. Swiss bankers and corrupt
international financiers that provide for the likes of Yaya and Abacha
should be exposed and reprimanded for their deeds. I can guarantee you that
no amount of secrecy laws in a banking regime will prevent us from
recovering the loot from Yaya and his cohorts. Just like the Swiss have been
exposed and reprimanded for their actions during the Second World War, we
Africans should make sure that the Swiss and other authorities pay for the
misery they cause us Africans living under dictatorship governments. Do you
think Yaya would fight to be president if it were not for the money he
thought he will be able to steal? Yaya's sole motivation for taking over
power and remaining there is to enjoy luxuries that he knows his brains
cannot guarantee him. He knew he could not live 'well' because he is
uneducated. What did he do? He seized over power and loot money in order to
enjoy basic luxuries. The guy could not even get a wife before he seized
power. He was a nobody and still a nonentity in the eyes of decent folks. In
short, if it was not for the corruption and insensitivity of the Swiss
bankers, Taiwanese, Libyans, etc. people like Yaya will have no incentive to
seize power. Few years ago, the Philippine government used a novel theory to
hoist Westinghouse to court in order to recover money from Westingtonhouse,
because it was alleged that Westinghouse interfered with the fiduciary duty
Marcus owed to Philippine by bribing Marcus. This theory and others will be
used to recover our moneys from these criminals. Swiss bankers have been
known to go all the way to Gambia to open bank accounts for Yaya and his
cohorts. These bankers know full well that the deposits they are soliciting
are the proceeds of criminal transactions. How on earth can Yaya legally
make millions of dollars few months after seizing power? If Yaya receives a
bribe from Taiwanese authorities, he is breaking Gambian laws. If Yaya
participates in drug trafficking, he is breaking Gambian laws. If Yaya
steals from government coffers, he is breaking Gambian laws. Had the
Americans or the Swiss suspected Yaya of drug trafficking and he
subsequently makes those deposits in Swiss bank accounts, the authorities
will freeze his accounts. I do not wish to minimize the evil of drug
trafficking, but in my book, the source of Yaya's loot is more reprehensible
than that of drug kingpins. Yaya is fattening Swiss bank accounts at the
expense of poor Gambian farmers toiling under the sun. Before Yaya came to
power, it was unheard of in The Gambia for bilateral or multilateral aid
money to be laundered through personal bank accounts of government
officials. All aid money that used to come to The Gambia would go straight
to foreign bank accounts set up and managed by the Gambian Central Bank.
Central Bank would then give the government the Dalasi equivalent. As soon
as Yaya took over, this procedure was thrown out of the window. Instead,
they will fill suit cases with millions of dollars and shuttle from country
to country to deposit the money in private bank accounts. Well the Swiss can
try and hide behind secrecy laws in Switzerland, but they should realize
that if they want to be players in the international arena with branches in
the United States, we will catch up with them. Every effort should be made
to recover the loot Yaya and his cohorts stole from the Gambian people. On a
general note, Africans should lobby to make it harder for these dictators to
steal money with impunity. That way, a lot of these vermin will not apply
for the job of president.
KB