GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 23:06:38 +0100
                                  Editorial:The Banjul A.U. Conference: Wrong Place, Wrong Time.
        EDITORIAL
  The hosting of a gathering of Africa's Heads of States should under normal circumstances be an occasion of national pride, but for us in The Gambia, it is instead a manifestation of the disconnect between the regime and the people of our country. Barely two months have passed since a coup was reportedly foiled, and the spate of arrests, detentions, tortures and summary executions that followed, have left a large segment of our population in no mood to celebrate. Many concerned individuals and human-rights organizations around the world, have petitioned the A.U. to cancel the Banjul conference, citing the deteriorating human rights record of this regime. As we speak, four alleged coup plotters, which includes the former head of National Security Services, Mr. Daba Marena, are reported to have been summarily executed, without the benefit of due process as guaranteed under our laws. Additionally, others were tortured, and are suffering serious medical and physical
conditions, which includes a reported broken arm afflicting Ngor Sarr also formerly of the National Security Services. The argument being offered by the A.U. Secretariat as to why the meeting will be held in Banjul despite widespread protests, is in my view, very weak to say the least. However, while we Gambians around the world recognize at this late stage that a cancellation of the Banjul meeting may not happen, we nonetheless urge participants from around Africa and other parts of the world to understand that beneath the shallow smiles of our people, there is deep hurt and pain. We urge you to talk to our people in the hotels, the bars, on the roads or anywhere else you may meet them and try to learn and understand the fear and brutality under which our people are living. The Gambia today has become what Haiti was under Papa Doc Duvalier and his notoriously murderous paramilitary Ton Ton Makut. Yahya Jammeh's Green boys or Chacas a copycat of Ton Ton Makuts, are on a
murderous rampage, and over the past year the country's most recognizable journalist, Deida Hydara, the founder of the Gambia Press Union, was brutally slaughtered in cold blood. The people of our country are living in constant fear for their lives, and both the National Assembly and The Judiciary are crippled by fear and are consequently rendered ineffectual. The entire population is at the mercy of the government, and there is nothing to protect our people from the heavy-hand of a government they no longer want, but cannot get rid of.

  Gambia is not the right place for the AU Summit

  Looking at this issue from another angle may also provide an insight into how some respectable international financial bodies see the impending Banjul A.U. conference. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has expressed reservation about the wisdom and the ability of The Gambia to host such an expensive and resource draining conference. With an economy that is being sustained by massive loans and grants, The Gambia should be spending every last penny in the business of improving the lives of its people. The Gambian people are not sold to the idea of a false sense national pride for hosting the A.U., because every penny spent, is money that could be used to feed the mouth of a hungry child in the vast barrios of SereKunda and elsewhere. The people of The Gambia will derive no joy in having Africa's leaders in their country. As a matter of fact, every single penny spent on the numerous guests due to arrive, is money that will put our farmers and working Gambians more into
debt. Our economy is hurting, and the meetings aftermath will exacerbate the financial burden that our country finds itself in.
  Finally, the international financial institutions specifically The IMF and The World Bank must take a more aggressive posture in demanding accountability from this regime. The Gambian authorities, like every other African government, are adept at cooking the books. Nearly hundred percent of the financial accounting that is submitted to The IMF and The World Bank by The Gambian government is bogus and does not represent actual expenditures. Corruption and siphoning off huge amounts of money designed for projects is a forgone conclusion. Matter of fact, it is both expected and a culturally accepted practice. It is called "muchat" (lick) in the Wollof language, and only the "doff" (crazy) people will not do it. The culture itself as we can see, discourages honesty, and honest people have no place in this regime. Corruption is sanctioned at every level, and Yahya Jammeh is the most guilty of it, but in his deluted mind, he thinks it is his right to spend millions of the
nations funds on himself and those he chooses to share it with. The head of every government agency and department must either play along with Jammeh's insatiable lust for money or get fired and in extreme cases, loose their lives as in the case of former Secretary of State of Finance, Koro Ceesay.
  This editorial was written by Editor Mathew K Jallow.

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 (Archive on Tuesday, May 30, 2006)
Posted by PANDERRYMBAI  Contributed by PANDERRYMBAI
    Return
        Rating:           [input] 1   [input] 2   [input] 3   [input] 4   [input] 5    Comments:      Save
          Current Rating:  3.45                        Rating:   5    well siad and good job guys            Rating:   3    Jammeh and the humble greatful Gambians Shall be in peace & blessed as long as Allah is with them! May the ungreatful Gambians and evil perish            Rating:   3                Rating:   3    Well done Pa. Keep up the good work and ignore the rotten jammeh fans             Rating:   3    Yaya jammeh why not give a position to PA in your govt, so that PA can shut up            Rating:   3    You are all focus on Jammeh. You should be discussing who will be our next leader after witnessing the selfishness manifested by the collusion. Hallat             Rating:   3    contnue the good job and do not even read the irrarational comments .            Rating:   5    Devil Yaya jammeh and is supporters will soon perish            Rating:   4    the local and international press should continue to factually report the sense of desperation in the gambia and
the absolute mess the goverment is ma            Rating:   3    Jammeh and the humble greatful Gambians Shall be in peace & blessed as long as Allah is with them! May the ungreatful Gambians and evil perish            Rating:   5    "Muchat" (Suck). Sucking our resources dry. God will punish them, especially the Dictator            Rating:   5                Rating:   1                Rating:   5                Rating:   5                Rating:   5                Rating:   1                Rating:   1    Mathew you wirte this between beers? fucking idiot what do you know other than beer and whores            Rating:   5                Rating:   1    say; for those in Gambia, not US in gambia, as you are not in gambia you are in AMERICA PANDERRY

      Copyright 2006 (c) Freedom Newspaper, LLC.   :  Powered By PointClick  :  Terms Of Use  :  Privacy Statement [input]   [input]   [input]