GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:33:25 -0000
Hamjatta: (Writing in a hurry)

Thanks for the e-mail below. You have definitely hit the nail on the head.

I have nothing to apologise to Pa Modou Gassama of Gamtel. In fact, he is
lucky that my Server is down at the moment, so I am forced to send this
e-mail from a Cyber Cafe which is expensive. Anyway, whenever my server is
operational, I'll put the guy in his place as they say here in B'ham.

In actual fact, I have received a minimum of 10 international calls
yesterday, including those from Gamtel staff, and every one of them
confirmed that Kebba Jobe is actually Pa Modou Gassama.

Equally, my e-mail account is being bombarded with private e-mails, mainly
from Gamtel staff, and all confirming that Kebba Jobe is actually Pa Modou
Gassama. So, from now on, like Hamjatta suggested, I for one will be
addressing Kebba Jobe aka Pa Modou Gassamma. In fact, if I were to make
public some of the private e-mails about you (Pa Modou), Gambia-L readers
will have been shocked for the rest of their lives.

You are the ones that/who benefitted a lot from the Jawara years, in terms
of professional training abroad, and it is therefore very hypocritical and
sickening for you guys to come here on the L, and act as a "Jawara victim",
when in reality, you were/are the very ones who have sucked the milk from
the little cow.

Yes, it pains when some of you guys supporting Yahya Jammeh, try to paint
sincere people like Kebba Dampha, Hamjatta, Jabou, Saul Khan, Ebou, Joe,
myself and others as being Pro-Jawara, simply because we are consistently
exposing the wrongs of the Jammeh regime.

You, Pa Modou Gassama, have taught me in school (Form One), and you know
that I have not benefitted, especially in terms of Government scholarships
like you have enjoyed, from the former regime. So it pains when you come
here and try to paint some of us speaking the language of truth, as being
under the pay role of deposed president Jawara.

You (Pa Modou Gassama) are aware of how hard I have worked over years to
develop myself. The truth is that some of us are in fact late developers
intellectually speaking.

You (Pa Modou) taught me in 1979, and it is in year 2001 (22 years later)
when I have finally got an opportunity to start working on my Ph.D. You can
therefore see that some of us have not been lucky like the Pa Modou Gassamas
of this world and yet you want to blackmail those who did not know the past.

Equally, Hamjatta Kanteh is attending one the most pretigious colleges of
Oxford University, and yes, Jammeh and Jawara are NOT paying for his fees. I
also know for a fact, that the great Kebba Dampha did not enjoy Gambia
government scholarships like the Pa Modou Gassamas of the world.

Kebba Dampha's overseas studies were never paid for by the Jawara
government. In fact, contrary to what some of you believe, Kebba Dampha ONLY
worked very briefly under the previous Government and then left for the
private sector. You will be surprised to be told that Dampha did not in fact
have any problem with Jammeh government. At the time of the coup and after,
he was doing fine. He left The Gambia on his own volition. I can also bet
that the story is also true for Saul Khan, Saul Mbenga and many others on
the L.

People are only speaking out because we care and love our country/people,
but some of us are better placed in the West than being in The Gambia.

Hamjatta: Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely do/write a
comprehensive paper on how I have caught this Pa Modou Gassama red handed.
And on another note, I have to say that I have been following your debate
with Saiks, and I am indeed enjoying every bit of it. Yusupha Jow, at times,
contributes interesting perspectives to your debate as well.

By the way, I have been reviewing/reading new and fascinating
perspectives/books on Africa's enormous crisis (es), and it is my intention,
God willing, to share some of these perspectives/arguments on why Africa is
the way it is today. Maybe, this would then enable some of us to understand
the mindset of the likes of Yahya Jammeh and why they can stay in power for
too long.

For sure, Gambia-L readers will not be disappointed when I come to share
some of these latest analyses on Africa. I have come across the works of
some great Africanists - a few of them I have to say - who are really making
sense of what is happening in Africa today. They include Patrick Chabal,
Daloz, Bayart, Jeffrey Herbst, Chazan. Anyway, I am sure whenever I come to
share their perspectives/interpretations of why Africa is the way it is
today, some of you will really find it/them useful.

Subsequently, I'll be recommending some books by these people which are
worth reading.

Meanwhile, Hamjatta and Saiks, keep the debate going. I for one am enjoying
it.

Ebrima Ceesay

PS: If this e-mail has disappointed my well-wishers on Gambia-L, I apologise
unreservedly . Maybe, I am a bit emotional right now. My good Sierra Leonean
sister, Josephine Hazely of the BBC Focus On Africa Programme, would often
say: "Ebrima, I am going to interview you but please, please, do not bring
your emotions into it"... (laugh)