GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:16:22 EST

Karim,

I am proud of DA for this effort. It was an undaunting task given  the
difficulty in retrieving the info and the unprecedented frequency of  sackings,
resignations,retirements, wanton disappearances, etc that is the life  of the
public servant in Gambia.

I want to take this opportunity to commend Yahya for announcing that he  does
not intimidate lawyers and does not try to affect judicial demarche. I  think
this is a hopeful sign and Yahya should be encouraged in that direction. I
want to share with him though that our disdain is not because we think  he
physically intimidates, maims, illegally imprisons, or kills our fellow  citizens,
or that he advocates for such. But that these activities occur
un-investigated by independent authority, and un-prosecuted while he is our  president. I
think he can further return trust and national security if he  pronounces
publicly that whoever engages in such is persona non-grata and that  it is at his
displeasure and wrath that they will complete such decrepit  activity. In other
words, Yahya should set the tone for propriety and disdain  for illicit
activity to nurture peace and tranquility in the nation.

Further, he should apologise to all his citizens for the wrongs that have
been committed and vow to investigate them and encourage the judiciary to
dispense justice without fear or favour of him. He should apologise not because  he
has any part in those crimes, but that just like the citizens, he abhors the
crimes and the criminals. He should encourage the criminals to turn
themselves  in and cooperate with the Judiciary and for those criminals who are dead or
have  been killed, he ought to investigate the criminals who killed them and
the  crimes that the dead criminals had committed. I think this will make me
immensely proud of Yahya and it will engender comfort with him from the
citizenry.

These matters are pending:
The murder of Koro Ceesay
The murder of Deyda Hydara
The attempted murder of Lawyer Ousman Sillah
The illegal detention of Mariam Denton
The illegal detention of Duta Kamaso
The injury and damage to Pa Sallah Jeng

It is not the end of the list of our disquiets but Yahya will have gone a
long way in addressing these above.

I want to thank him in advance for his considerations in the case of our
friend Fatou Jaw Manneh and I wish to encourage him to release Kanyiba Kanyi
without prejudice and to get to the bottom of Chief Manneh's abduction and
continued disappearance.

I pray for strength and fortitude for him and the mercy of Almighty Allah  as
he trains on propriety and goodwill. I congratulate him and his wife on the
arrival of their newborn son. May Allah guide and keep them.

Masoud. MQDT. Darbo. Al Mutawakkil.

In a message dated 12/9/2007 6:27:25 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,