GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:38:40 +0000
Malanding, thanks for relaying your observations about the APRC reception in
New York.  Like you, I am also disappointed that not many of those who
oppose his government and live in the area did not show up.  I hope they
would give their reason why.  It is sad that we the people, are aiding these
thieves to continue to steal from us.  An African president coming to the US
and donating $20,000 for a victory celebration, and the people took it and
found nothing wrong with that act.  Right thinking folk should have voiced
their rejection of that criminal gesture.  We all know that Yaya's earnings,
per diem and all, should not be able to come to New York and even donate
$100, much more $20,000.  This act confirms his opinion about us - that
every Gambian could be bought and sold anytime or any place.  It worked for
him in The Gambia, New York, D.C., and pretty soon Atlanta.

We just heard Bekai Manneh's experience; Ngorr forwarded to us the saga of
the fifty students in the newspapers who cannot afford the fees to sit for
their exams; We recently heard that the farmers are owed millions of Dalasis
for their crops, etc.  And we in New York did not see anything wrong with
Yaya bribing folk.  This is really pathetic.  Those of us that are very
impressed with Jammeh and all the good stuff he is doing, are you also
satisfied that this government that you are so happy about have not done
anything about the April Massacre?  Are you also satisfied that Gambians are
getting poorer and our farmers are owed millions of Dalaisi, but expected to
feed their families, school their kids, and pay taxes on top of that?  Are
you satisfied that our health system is poorly equipped and manned as
experienced by Bekai Manneh and thousands of people?  Are you satisfied with
the soon to be signed media bill to silence the people?  Are you also
satisfied that our people are victimized and illegally detained?  APRC can
have branches all over the US.  However, the fact remains that they are a
corrupt, brutal and inept government.  That $20,000 donation is nothing but
a bribe my friends and it seems to me that both the donor and the recepients
have no shame in the act.  It is normal patron/client exchange, while our
people are living in abject poverty.  Finally, it your and my people back
home that are still suffering, while we shamelessly aid in their
victimization.  They are going to be the many Bekai Mannehs, the unemployed,
the unpaid, and the marginalized.  I'm sure it does not bother you, just
another day in your life.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou