GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:13:28 +0000
                             CHANGE   IS   INEVITABLE!!!!!

There  is  enough    evidence  to   suggest    that    Gambians   both   at
  home    and  abroad  are   yearning  for   a  change  of   government.
    Almost    every   sector  of   society   are   fed  up    with   the
current    administration.     Not   that    they   hate  Jammeh   as    a
person,    but    they    are   opposed   to   his  ill-conceived    and
dictatorial  policies.       Jammeh  is   fully   aware   of    this  public
  concern.     He   is    just  playing   the   foul,    but   he   knows
that   his   days  are   numbered.

Now   the  questions   that   comes   to  mind   is :   who  will   effect
such   a  positive  change?     What     will   Gambians   gain   from
such  a   change?       The   answers   to   these  questions   are  not
easy.     But   we  will   try    to  find   answers.    I    strongly
believe    that   with     a   united  opposition    and  a    highly
informed  electorates,   positive   change  is   inevitable.       But   i
wish   to    caution    that   such  a     change     cannot  happen   over
night.     It's   a    big    task.      Greed,    personal   differences
among   the  rank   and   file   of   the  opposition   must  be   set
aside.      Through  this,      i   am  optimistic   that  Gambians  will
regain   their   destiny  again   from   this  tyrannical  and     murderous
   regime.

Nobody  is   safe   in  our   beloved  country   today.      The    ship  of
   state  is   on   the  brink  of   collapsing.        We    need
sincere   and   committed   Gambians    to  rescue   us    from   any
disaster.      United    we   stand,  and   divided   we   fall.      Our
Vote   is   our    weapon.       The   Opposition    should   embark   on
a   serious    voter   awareness   campaign    to     avoid     vote
buying.       The    current   administration     have   infested    our
electoral  books  with  non citizen   voters.     This    was   possible,
with the support      of     the   jailed  MP   Baba   K  Jobe   and
Abdoulie   Kujabi.     Regular    readers   of  the  Point  newspaper   can
  remember   the  Bakau    and   Kololi  Casamance   voter   registration.
        He    registered    thousands    of  casamance    natives  with
the  IEC.        To   deny   such   individuals   from   voting  would   be
difficult  because   they  have  already  obtained   our  national
documents.      In    the  interest   of   free  and  fair  elections,    a
  fresh   voter   registration   should  be  conducted   before   the   2006
  polls.     The   issue   of  supplementary   registration   is   not
the   solution  to    the  current    electoral  fraud  hitting  our
nation.      These  illegal   voters   should   be   wiped  out   from   our
   electoral   records.

The    IEC   chairman    talked  about    the  possibility  of     extending
   voting   to   Gambians  abroad.      This  is    a    brilliant   idea.
  We   do   hope   that    his   boss   Jammeh  will   give   his   blessing
  to   the  issue  of extending   franchise   abroad.      Jammeh    will
receive  his   biggest  shock  in  life   if  such  a   thing  happens.
                              ELECTION   VIOLENCE

Already   the  killings  have  started,    with   the  demise  of
journalist  Deyda  Hydara.     With  barely   few  months  to   the
elections,   the  media  have  been  the  first causality  of   the  pending
  elections.       Jammeh   did   threatened   to   deal  with   those
making  noise  about  the   2006   elections.      And   Deyda    was  all
the   time  talking  about   the  implications   about   Jammeh's
pronouncements   against   the  electorates.       In    one    of  his
writes-up,  he  even  warned   the   regime  not   to   embark  on  secret
killings.     This   was   when   Lamin    Waa   Juwara's   life   was
threatened.       Jammeh's    "six  feet  deep"    threatening  statements
will  no   doubt   raise  well founded  fears   as   to    whether   he
Jammeh  have   hands  in    Deyda's   killing.       It's   up   to  him
to   defend   himself.    But   people  have  already   make  up   their
minds  on   Deyda's   death.

The    recent   arrest  of   APRC  officials    goes   to  show   that   the
   man   is  in  a  state   of   confusion.     He   does  not   trust
anybody  now    a   days.     This   is   a   sign    of  failure.      2006
   could   be    an   easy  ride   for   the  opposition,   provided   that
  they  put   their  house   in  order.        If   they  can   resist
Jammeh's   bully    and   vote   rigging  tactics,     they  will  certainly
    emerge   victorious.     Jammeh    will   do   everything   it  will
cost  him   to   remain  in   power.    He  is   not  ready  to  live   now.
     Many   observers   are  not  convinced   that  he  will  concede    to
   an  opposition  election     victory.       He     had   a   loyal  army
who   are   ready  to     execute  any  assignment   from   him.

                          HIT  SQUAD   IN   GAMBIA?

The   Green   boys  are  at   work.     They   killed   and  fire  bomb
media  houses   perceived  to   be   critical  of  the  Jammeh
administration.     They   also  abduct  people   at  wee  hours .
These  people  operate  like  terrorists.     Their   actions  are
treasonable.    Despite   their  terror  activities,   against  peaceful
citizens,  the regime  is saying  that  they  cannot   track  down   these
killers.       Well,    the   administration  is  good  at   tracking   down
   journalists  and   opposition  officials   on   arrest   warrants  and
not   the  Green   boys.    The   green    boys   are  still  walking  Scot
  free  in  our  streets   with  impunity.    How  long  will   these
atrocities   attributed  to   the  mighty  green   boys  last?    Who   is
spare  heading  this  cowardly  attacks  against  our   citizens?     What
are   their  objectives?     How   can  Jammeh  and  his   cronies  convince
  us   that   they  are  not  aiding  abetting  these  thugs?    Who   will
  be  the  next  target  after  Deyda?   There  are  more  questions   than
answers.     We  hope  Jammeh   will   help  us   with  answers.