GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:46:20 +0200
Mr. P. Gassama,
some days ago I asked Mr. Tombong Saidy if the President could put decrees
into action and just by giving a statement repeal it again.

Your information is maybe an answer to my question. The decree is still in
action and IS NOT YET REPEALED.

That said,  I´m glad that there is still have some kind of democracy, and
The Gambia is not run like in Europe a few hundred years back, a feudal
society with a reign supreme and absolute monarch.

Some of the gambia-l members have said that the APRC dominated parliament
just will formally legitimize the Presidents declaration, and others are
saying that the decree from the start was illegal. You may have right. But
if the information that the national assembly will have to meet to formal
legitimize and repeal the decree, I still welcome that no matter what we can
say about the system.

Let me ask another question ? Can anyone on the gambia-l send me the exact
text of the indemnity act, which I understood the parliament voted for
before they went for summer-holidays ? I should like to learn from it, what
kind of indemnity are we talking about. My question because I come to think
of former parliament members, ministers and president. Are they also
affected, included of the indemnity ?

Regards from Asbjørn Nordam