GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:23:31 +0100
Mr. Jow

It was precisely because I wanted to escape foraging the Gambia-L archives for the MRDG's Constitution that I made my request public. That it was rather imprecise, is my own fault. Many thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I will disappoint you in providing excerpts from my book on Jammeh's rule. It is full of so much bitterness, so much prurient venom as to defeat the very purpose that inspired it in the first place; and I have become so mindful of the approximation of Professor V. Y Mudimbe's (Standford and Duke universities)  that perhaps because African political writing is so angry, it fails to inspire happy transformations. So brother Yus, you will have to forgive me, because I have deliberately booked  myself into a long period of psychoanalysis - for this year and the next - to understand  those processes of the mind that are perhaps a necessary prelude to madness. This, possibly a Jungian fad......But I mean how do those grand ideas about freedom, about ushering in the open society, about liberating ourselves and our parents, about ending our poor black status of being perpetual hewers of wood, about loving our heads and our limbs which the slave-drivers hated so much, about stopping the constant pouring of black blood since ages immemorial, all suddenly become so tiny as to fit in the back seat of a pajero? Yes, how do you explain that Dumo Saho (with whom I lived in the same cell for 300 days at Mile Two prisons following the Kukoi in 1981, before we both died the first time) is now left to rot in jail under the wicked complicity of those he not only recruited into MOJA but mentored into revolutionary thinking and political work? How would you explain that the man who was until recently Attorney General himself gained national fame as leader of the NLP (National Liberation Party) as a result of the very man over whose illegal incaceration he precided. Dumo, almost single-handedly built the NLP from the ground up for Cheyassin Secka! And upon all this injury one Landing Jatta yells at me that Gambia is incapable of nothing better than Sir(!) Dawda and Yahya Jammeh.
Fela Anikulapo Kuti once said that "in Africa only two people speak the thruth: Kwame Nkrumah and My Mother!" I say long live the zombies of this Gambia-L!

So you can understand if my disillusionment is too dark to be of any use whatsoever.

Cheers,
Modou Sidibeh