GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:05:35 EDT
 Halifa,
         These statements are quite reassuring, and should embolden every
Gambian that they have a legitimate stake in the destiny of their country.
The choice is now before us. We either live with our conscience, and
recognize that we must not allow any authority to demean our humanity; or we
concede our humanity, and allow a misguided authority to stiffle our
conscience.

        People are born to be free. They are only enslaved, when the
political, economic and social circumstances that govern their lives, are
detremined by others. However, when they recognize their fundamental rights
in dictating the outcome of these political, social and economic
circumstances, they create the conditions for their own liberation. Therein
lies the power of the people.

       No individual can exercise authority over a people, if that authority
is not within the context of a civil society, govern by its principles and
constitution, that negates the kind of behavior that is an affront to
people's liberties.

       Power, therefore, should not and cannot be absolute. It cannot and
must not be consolidated. It must be contested, and peacefully transferred.
It belongs to a people, who constitute a civilized and organized society. It
only belongs to an individual, a group or an interest, if  such a society is
uncivilized and disorganized. This however, is not the case in this beautiful
country, we proudly call the Gambia. Hence, power belongs to the people. The
sooner people recognize this, the better for everyone.

     Thanks for setting this patriotic tone of national discourse in this
most troubling times. The Gambia is indeed lucky for people like you, who are
always there to calm the waters, before the volcano errupts and drown us all
in that sea of national disintergration. Sincere regards.

    Rene