GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:31:50 -0700
Mr. Sallah,

I appreciate your effort in responding to my questions. As I have mentioned
in one of my messages before, it is only through such exchanges that we the
ordinary voters can get to know who our leaders and potential leaders are
and how they percieve the urgent issues facing our nation. Your efforts in
enlightening us about PDOIS' position with these issues is commendable. I
wish others will follow suit.

When you mentioned:

"Allow me to make it abundantly clear that Yahya Jammeh has no power to
declare PDOIS or any other existing party illegal. The constitution does not
give Yahya such powers. Democracy would have indeed been enshackled if Yahya
was given such powers."

I know this very well Mr. Sallah, hence my surprise at the original
statement you made. You and I know that under normalcy, the above assertion
will suffice, but this is not the case in Gambia today. Correct me if I'm
wrong. We all know that Yaya can wake up one morning and send his thugs to
abduct Bamba Laye or Halifa Sallah because he has "evidence" that they are
planning to overthrow him. He's done this several times before. My concern
is that by making a statement like:

"LEGALITY AND ILLEGALITY ARE DEFINED BY THOSE WHO CONTROL STATE POWER IN
HAVING THE CAPACITY TO ARREST, DETAIN AND TRY THOSE THEY ACCUSE OF CARRYING
OUT ACTS TO REMOVE THEM FROM POWER."

You run the risk of being seen as justifying some of Jammehs' actions. There
is enough evidence to conclude that in the present political situation in
The Gambia, Jammeh has the capacity to arrest, detain and try any one he
accuses of carrying out acts to remove him from power. Now, whether this is
within the purview of the Gambian constitution or not is not debatable. We
all know better.

Thanks for your time and enjoy your day.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519