GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:15:20 +0000
No, you give Gambians a break and on the contrary, the hypocrisy lies in
you.  What happened to loyalty to one's principles, comrades, and country?
You seem to share the "Jamfa" mentality that describes Jawara all throughout
his political career.  The man is worst than Brutus if you ask me.  Can you
imagine Mandela being released from jail to join the Afrikaner Movement at
the expense of not only his comrades in exile, but the countless many South
Africans that has been massacred and victimized by the Apartheid regime?
This loyalty to self is what is sinking our country and it is sad to see
senior citizens leading parade.  On a personal note, Jawara can go to hell
as far as I am concerned.  But hey, why should we be surprised.  This is the
same man that in the 1980 mutiny, Kukoi et al held his family at gun point
with threats to kill them should he attempt a come back, and what happened?
We all heard over the radio the the whimpering of his wife... Modoor Ngi Nee
Toog" etc..  His family could have been wiped out as far as he is concerned
because of his love for self.  Not to forget all those that were forced at
gunpoint to renounce him, and he knew that they did it against their will.
The same man that set some of his ministers up with his facade of seeking
their honest opinion regarding his retirement, only to turn around and sack
folks that honestly spoke their mind.  Not forgetting his flip flop between
the Church and the Mosque for political ends.  So, my friends Fafa is
consistent in his love for self.  So, I say give us a break with your
nonsense about Jawara resting in peace.  Jawara owe Gambians big time and
for this last Judas act to his supporters, I say stick it to him.  It is his
business to be the way he is and I think all Gambians reserve the right to
judge him based on how they see him.  And, yes, you are within your rights
to emphathize with him, so let others speak their mind too.  He is a weasel
as far as I am concerned.  Please read on.

Give Jawara a Break!

The Independent (Banjul)

EDITORIAL
June 7, 2002
Posted to the web June 7, 2002

Banjul

One again, the drum of political lilliputism has started thundering in the
land, renting air and our political dance troupes are fast casting off their
façade for an all-nude dance to the utter bewilderment and entertainment of
the civilized world.

Or else how can we explain the on-going murmuring and even rumblings in the
opposition camp over Papa Jawara's return to the country whose air he has
been longing to gulp? How can some people be so hypocritical, indifferent
and even cynical to the travails of a former president in his late 70s who
had spent eight turbulent years away in tortuous exile, as to engage him in
a battle for no reason other than returning home when his comrades are yet
to be pardoned by the government? Who among us, when put in Jawara's shoes
will not accept to come back home?

There are certain sufferings that enrich our humanity in that they make us
sensitive to the feelings of others. Subjecting the old man to mean-spirited
political bickering amounts to doing him a great disservice. He who wears
the shoes knows where it pinches. Jawara has suffered enough in exile and
should be given a break to enable him live the rest of his life in peace of
body and mind before he joins our ancestors.

The stance of the hawks in the opposition that he should have fought for an
extension of the amnesty to a blanket one to cover other members of his
regime as a condition for his return is too old-fashioned. In fact, those
blaming him for reciprocating President Jammeh's reconciliatory gestures are
euphemistically asking for his political martyrdom, which will neither
benefit him nor the nation. Indeed, there is no pressure he can apply
indirectly on Jammeh from outside that he cannot effect from within the
country.

Judging from political events in the country, it will be difficult to
convince even an on-looker that our version of political democracy does not
belong to the epoch of primitive societies. Such societies are characterized
by mechanical solidarity in which all followers depend on their leaders for
their position on virtually any issue, rather than exhibiting a dint of
independent judgement or initiative.

One can even risk saying we cannot forgive unless our leaders tell us to
forgive. The fallout from such state of affairs is that there is so much
bitterness within the ranks of our leaders which permeates down to the
common man that it now seems our leaders are the major obstacles to our
peace and tranquility. In our vindictiveness we have forgotten the golden
rule or categorical imperative that we should do unto others what we would
want them to do unto us.

Jawara deserves a rest and we must allow him to rest peacefully. For
heaven's sake give the old pa a break!