GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:17:07 EST
Brother Momodou Sidibeh,

Infact, this piece was sent by a friend who wanted to share it with the L
community, and I am grateful for that. I just could not hold back my tears
when I read that piece. As a parent, one can easily substitute those young
people full of dreams who lost their lives with your own. The tragedy of the
rest of the lost lives is equally as devastating.
The fact that the international community has not offered Senegal any
assistance in dealing with the aftermath of this disaster just goes to
solidify what I and a great many others think, that somehow, the lives of
Africans and other peoples of colour is no doubt relegated to being  of less
value. If this had happened elsewhere, they will still be talking about it
and offering all sorts of assistance. Another lesson that we need to make
sure we take care of our own very carefully.

Jabou Joh