GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:05:45 EDT

These series of articles are from the pages of the Philadelphia  Trumpet
(_www.thetrumpet.com_ (http://www.thetrumpet.com) )
which is a Christian publication out of Philadelphia. Their main  aim is to
relate World events to Biblical Prophecies and as  much as possible, I have
edited out the parts of the articles which  relate to that and for those of you
who want to search their archives and  read the un-edited versions of their
articles, please visit their  web-site. I appreciate and wanted to focus on the
parts of their  article  that present an excellent picture of the current
global  political, economic and social situation thereby enabling us to have  a
clearer understanding of the reasons behind much of what is happening in  the
World today.
There are quite a few articles in this particular series and I will  be
forwarding them a few at a time.
We in Africa especially cannot afford to be un-educated about this
situation. While the majority of our politicians and  their supporters in Africa are
mainly  focusing their energies  on haggling for positions of power  that are
becoming more and more really simply ceremonial  positions  vis a vis our
position in the World economic arena when one analyzes the  reality of the Global
political, economic, military and resultant social  situations, it is clear that
the major battle has already been lost for us  and our people who form the
majority of the World's poor and down-trodden  masses, and "the kings of the
hill  as well as those who  aspire to be the kings of the hill" on our continent
are but like the  emperor with no clothes who may think he is well dressed but
in reality,  he is naked. It is abundantly clear that unless we Africans have
a  complete change of attitude where we  sincerely and wholeheartedly  walk,
talk and feel  in our bones that what we want for ourselves is  truly what we
want for our fellow African/compatriot etc, we will  never have the essential
unified front to stand against  not only dictatorships and hegemony but also
to enable us to see clearly  enough to concentrate our energies on identifying
and fighting the  impending re-enslavement of our people and our continent
Please see part one below:
Jabou Joh
PART   ONE
Stoking the  Engines of Empires
By Joel  Hilliker

The world is  exiting the age of America and entering  the age of multiple
superpowers. The crunch on resources needed to stoke  the engines of emerging
global powers is destined to spark a violent  revolution.

In the modern world,  being a first-rate global power is expensive. It takes
a lot of fuel to  keep the engine firing.

Modern luxuries such as jetliners and suvs, electronics and computer
technology,  spacious air-conditioned homes and offices require an unprecedented
supply  of resources to operate—resources like oil, natural gas and coal, not to
mention human laborers. The more elaborate our civilization becomes, the  more
resource-dependent it becomes—developing from a patchwork of  self-sufficient
communities using only local resources into a dizzyingly  complex,
economically interdependent matrix of pipelines, shipping lanes  and trade routes that
transmit resources to the folks who hunger for  them.

The United  States is the most voracious  devourer of natural resources ever.
Its 296 million citizens spend over  half a trillion dollars each year on
energy. Over 40 percent of that  energy comes from oil, of which the  U.S.
guzzles 20 million barrels,  and growing, daily. Since the  U.S. produces only about
a third  of that itself, it must import well over 4 billion barrels of oil
annually  (a quarter of that from our “friends” in  Saudi  Arabia and
Venezuela). That is what it takes to  enable 4.6 percent of the world’s population
(Americans) to consume 25  percent of the world’s oil production. The Institute
Français de Petrole  warns that if all countries consumed oil on a per-person
basis equal to  that of the U.S., the world’s known oil  resources would be
gone in eight  years.

America’s unmatched prosperity and  record-breaking use of resources has
erected a new standard not only in  materialism and convenience, but also power
projection. And it is a  standard to which other nations in a competitive world
are aggressively  trying to catch up. Consider the  U.S. military: To possess
the  most impressive armed forces in the world, the  United  States has paid
close to a billion  dollars a day, every day, for over 60 years. Nations that
aim to compete  on that level are shelling out money and manpower on a massive
scale,  forming alliances and pooling their assets—and all the while
increasing  their thirst for greater and greater quantities of natural  resources.

This is not an insignificant development. The world is  already straining
just to fuel one superpower. But other empires-to-be are  now coming of age.
China, the most dramatic example,  is growing twice as fast economically as the
U.S. and has settled into its new  role as the world’s home base for
manufacturing.

As countries like  China industrialize and urbanize,  their oil consumption
inevitably expands. Whereas a man living in a  developing country uses two
barrels of oil per year (that is the average  per-capita usage of 5 billion of the
planet’s 6.4 billion people), his  brother in the developed world uses 18
barrels. The gap between  these two figures is shrinking—and not because the
developed world is  cutting back in its oil usage.

Unfortunately, though demand is  ballooning, supplies aren’t: In fact, global
oil production appears to be  approaching its peak.

Existing oil fields are already working at or  close to full capacity—and, in
many cases, have already started to decline  in output—and new discoveries
aren’t expected to make up the difference.  According to former Secretary of
Defense James R. Schlesinger, “The  underlying problem is that for more than
three decades, [world] production  has outrun new discoveries. Most of our giant
fields were found 40 years  ago and more. Even today, the bulk of our
production comes from these  old—and aging—giant fields” that are past peak production
(www.senate.gov,  Nov. 16,  2005).

The U.S. Department  of Energy’s statistical agency, the Energy Information
Administration,  insists that the world will “require new [oil] production
equivalent to  three Saudi Arabias by 2025” to meet projected growing global oil
needs.  In other words, three  “Saudi  Arabias” must be discovered,
permitted, drilled and put into production over the next two decades just  to meet
demand (Petroleum Intelligence  Weekly, Sept. 5,  2005). Furthermore, all
infrastructure—including pipelines, tankers, storage facilities and  refineries—
would also need to be constructed before the oil could reach  the market.

Clearly, this is not going to happen. What will  happen is that competition
for what oil does exist will get  vicious.

While the scope of resource extraction, distribution and  consumption in today
’s world is unparalleled in human history,  competing for resources is as old
as the hills. A shortage or  perceived shortage of required resources, or an
increased appetite for  resources, has time and again brought families, clans,
tribes, states and  nations into conflict with one another in tragic cycles
of violence,  conquest, enslavement and revolution. To take nothing away from
the  friction between contrasting ideas (particularly religious ideas), nor
from the competitive and hostile tendencies within human nature to simply  want
to dominate other people, throughout history physical  resources—including
land, water, livestock, material supplies,  treasure, armaments and even slave
labor—have been among the principal  pursuits of those nations that have engaged
other nations in war. The two  world wars of the past century, for example,
were ignited largely by  resource grabs by Germany within  Europe and Northern
Africa, and by  Japan in Southeast  Asia.

So it will be in our  day. Only now, in the age of wmd, the  stakes are much,
much higher.

Precursor to War

The classic  sign of oil demand exceeding supply is already in evidence today—
and that  is price hikes. Over the past decade, crude oil prices have
tripled.

Such rate escalation especially wallops the countries that  import oil the
most. Certainly the  U.S. is hurting: In 2004 it  imported 58 percent of its
oil. The world’s most populous nations, China  and India—which import 44 and 70
percent of their oil respectively—also  feel the crunch, though they are, as
yet, generally less dependent on it.  But this is a real crisis for the
European Union, which ships in over 80  percent of its oil (last year, that figure in
 Germany,  France,  Italy and  Spain exceeded 90 percent)—and the  island
nation of Japan, which imports 98 percent.  Mounting costs for those oil imports
can ravage a nation’s economy,  simultaneously stunting economic growth and
driving up  inflation.

It is easy to see how quickly the tension will escalate  between those
nations that have the resources and those that need them—and  among those who are
competing for them—as they become more scarce. The  incalculably high stakes of
this game are producing some serious side  effects. First, the nations that
export those resources, especially oil  and natural gas, are coming to enjoy a
disproportionate amount of clout  (witness Iran, which the world appears
completely unable to prevent from  gaining nuclear weaponry simply for fear of
jeopardizing the 4.2 million  barrels of oil it puts on the market each day).
Second, while demand for  resources skyrockets, production increases have not kept
pace. As a  result, the competition to lock down sources is already starting
to become  more fierce—and it is about to get ugly.

From  Washington to  Brussels,  Caracas to  Moscow and  Beijing, national
leaders and  international corporations are stepping up their efforts to gain
control  over major sources of energy and commodities. With oil especially, never
 has the competitive pursuit of resources been so sharp, and, in the words
of Michael T. Klare, director of the Five College Program in Peace and  World
Security Studies, “Never has so much money as well as diplomatic and  military
muscle been deployed” to gain control over major stockpiles  (TomDispatch.com,
May 9, 2005).

Economic analyst James  Puplava succinctly sums up the global situation we
face: “At a time of  tremendous population growth and escalating demand for
commodities of all  types, resource scarcity will become a harbinger of war. The
wars of the  21st century will arise over the scarcity of resources like water,
oil and  food as much as they will religion and economics. National security
will  become aligned and directed towards the securing and protection of
global  resource flows” (Financial Sense Online, Feb. 22,  2002).

The facts we are  about to examine are compelling, even alarming. But it is
only when we  compare those facts with the Holy Bible’s prophetic descriptions
of the  interplay among nations during the final days of our present
civilization  that the utter ferocity of the rivalry over resources we are about  to
witness truly leaps into focus—and the extent to which today’s great  powers
will claw their way into becoming tomorrow’s superpowers by  raping weaker
nations, while enriching an elite collection of  international corporatists.

As the following pages show, two of the  major players in this drama, the
United  States and  Iran, are about to be eliminated  in a shocking manner. The
world is about to witness a titanic struggle for  dominance—already appearing
in its embryonic stages—between, principally,  Germany and  China. In large
part, it will be  competition over resources that ignites it.

Realizing their  resource dependency and the potential for a coming supply
crunch, nations,  especially China and EU nations, have  already begun
scrambling to secure sources. In fact, we are  actually witnessing the reemergence of
colonial-type relationships,  in which greater powers offer their manufactured
goods in exchange for raw  materials from their weaker partners.

But considering there is more  than one empire in the game—and that they are
all pursuing the same select  group of “colonies”—this development is a clear
precursor of resource  war.