GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:33:54 -0800
Mr. Njie,

I must first thank the Almighty Allah for making sure that our parents
return home safely. I would also like to thank you for attempting to explain
the reason(s) behind the delays in their travel back home.
Your message should have been more like an apology to your customers not a
cheap attempt of shifting blame on to your back-end contracts as someone
else have already pointed out. As a seasoned businessman, you should not
have had any qualms about publicly apologizing for the mishaps. Everyone
understands that there are certain things beyond your control as the manager
of Globe Travel, especially when dealing with unscrupulous politicos who
would be happy to sell their country in order to gain power. But, you have a
fundamental obligation to your customers, that is to acknowledge to them
that you've failed their expectations. Simple business ethics! Customer
loyalty cannot be forced or left to chance. Think about that for a minute.

I spoke with my mom this morning and as I very well expected, the only thing
she had to say was that when one goes to perform the Hajj, they should not
expect to have it easy. It's part of the whole exercise of performing the
Hajj. What else do you expect such humble customers to say about your
services? It is true that, as confirmed by my mom, you have tried to go out
of your way to make them feel comfortable and realaxed during their ordeal,
but that is in no way sufficient to negate the distress caused on them and
their family.

Your customers are not interested in knowing which one of your deals went
sour. Their expectations should be your concern no matter what. Most of us
are aware of the political/competitive distractions regarding the Hajj this
year and because of that your customers had the confident in your services
and thus expected you to honor that confidence. You have betrayed their
confidence, not of your own volition of course, but be ethically sound
enough to accept responsibility and strive to avoid such situations again.
That's not a lot to ask for!

With due respect.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
www.dalasigram.com
Making sending funds home more fun than hassle.
402-639-1105