GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:06:47 EDT
Karamba, thank you very much for speaking out against this outrage. I
herewith forward an article from the Daily Observer that talks about some of
the rules you alluded to in your piece. As one can clearly see, the
elections has already been rigged. Mbacke will be lucky to come out of this
alive. If he wins, we can declare that we experienced a miracle during our
life-time. This is simply ridiculous. At best, the candidates and their
supporters are being treated like children. No posters, banners, insults,
inflammatory language, political rallies etc. Candidates are forced to
engage in door to door canvassing. This is a mockery. Johnson should resign
forthwith if he has any honor left in him. He should be ashamed of himself
to have been manipulated by an impotent moron like Yaya. What happened to:
'I fear God and I shall do no wrong'? Or maybe Johnson does not think that
these rules have no place in a democratic society. This is a blatant affront
to our Constitutional (natural) rights to free speech and association.
Johnson et al would want to convince people that these rules are meant to
ensure public order. That is absurd. If the government wants to protect the
public during the elections campaigns, they should tell their thugs to stop
harassing people. The police should be deployed to keep the peace and ready
to take on the thugs from the July 22nd Movement. That is how you keep the
peace. You don't keep the peace by issuing gag orders against opponents of
APRC. July 22nd Movement people are currently operating at Sami,
intimidating people and campaigning for their candidate. Darboe and others
should challenge these ridiculous codes in court. We should not allow Yaya
and cronies like Johnson to set such despicable standards for us. If they
succeed in Sami, they will extend these rules to the Local government
elections (if and when they take place). The next you know, they would be
using the same ridiculous guidelines for the presidential and parliamentary
elections. Was it not just a few months ago that the IGP tried using the
same stupid rules about people desisting from using inflammatory language
during political rallies? If the opposition had not put their feet down and
force Sankung to retreat, we would now be operating under such draconian
rules. We respectfully urge the opposition to fight these rules as well.
Fighting these rules, includes getting rid of those corrupt officials at the
IEC. Their sole purpose, is to perpetuate the illegal and callous regime we
have back home.
KB

Observer

IEC issues code of campaign ethics

The Independent Electoral Commission has issued a code of election campaign
ethics for the chieftaincy election in Sami district scheduled for November
16. According to a statement issued by the IEC chairman yesterday, "the
election will be contested on a non-partisan platform.
This means that no political party will be allowed to sponsor, or to
campaign for any such election." IEC said it will provide campaign
materials, *2supervise all other public fora and provide transportation to
designated campaign locations for all candidates who do not have their own
means of transportation.
The IEC urged all candidates to keep high ethical and moral standards and
respect due to other candidates; desist from posting banners, posters,
placards, drawings, billboards, or similar materials; not insult or slander
another candidate, nor use any inflammatory language; not abuse public
property for political propaganda; limit their personal campaigns to verbal
face to face meetings within fenced households and not use public address
instruments;
not to carry lethal or dangerous weapons during their campaign, and not to
use fire crackers or any other such explosive materials during the campaign
period; and not to coerce or offer monetary or other kinds of inducements to
any person to vote for or against a particular candidate, or abstain from
voting.
The IEC chairman said the media have a national obligation to promote fair
play and to provide balanced coverage of all candidates. Nomination of
candidates for the elections will be held today in Sami. IEC's Mustapha
Carayol will be the returning officer.