GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:01:59 -0500
Thanks Mr. Sanneh for the added perspective. I also join you in expressing
my sincere condolences to  the family of Mr. Sarr.

The main reason I would have wanted a more comprehensive break down of our
imports is to try to have a greater understanding of the shift, if any, in
our spending patterns as well as what impact some of our existing policies
may have on them. These observations of mine are purely from a layman’s
point of view.

If you take a good look at what the SOS says here:

“The most important component of the imports are "vehicles and accessories"
8.93%, "mineral fuels and lubricants" 6.9%, "Sugar and sugar
confectionery "6.2%, and "Cereals" mainly rice at 5.7%.”

I am still wondering what constitutes the bulk, I mean the remaining almost
70% of our imports especially when you consider the steady decline in our
re-export trade.

Again if you look at Nawec’s D300 million heavy fuel bill plus our imported
domestic fuel bill and the expected 7% rise in the transport sector, it
virtually wipes out our total export of D417 million.

Again we are told:

“The 'Meat, Poultry, Egg and Fish' sub-group went up by 29%. Two other
subgroups, namely, 'Beverages, Alcoholic Drinks' and 'Tobacco and Tobacco
Products' registered significant price increases of 20.3 and 21%
respectively. The subgroup that recorded the most significant change
was 'Transport and Communication', registering a percentage rise of 14,1
over the index for 2001.”

I may be wrong here, but I once heard that our livestock population is more
than our own population and yet our import of ‘meat, egg and fish’ seems to
be growing way above our economy despite our cries of hunger and poverty.
Don’t we have enough meat or fish for domestic use? Why export fish only to
import more of it? Why not increase tax on “Beverages, Alcoholic Drinks and
Tobacco” or the imported “meat, egg and fish” rather than increasing tax on
fuel which makes life much harder for everyone?

Again, if you look at our import of vehicles and accessories which, we are
told, amounts to 8.93% of total imports (approximately D260 million) is
quite huge for a poor country like ours. I believe government needs to pay
more attention to river transport. Perhaps this might help ease the
congestion on our roads.

Already a huge amount of money has been invested in building roads and
bridges through out the country. What I want know is whether it has had any
impact on import of vehicle spares, for example.

Finally, I do not know if this is good or bad, but our commercial banks
seem to be having a great time. Are all the profits they are reporting
derived from overdraft charges by poor civil servants? I believe the SOS
also needs to tell us how much these banks are contributing to the
development of the country in terms of loans to businesses.

Have a good day, Gassa.

> [...]
> throughout the 80s.  Unfortunately,  little can be shown for the huge
> sums spent on these efforts in the form of  improved seeds and thus
> improved quality and yields. Those at NARI and  former NARI staffers
> (Dr. Jeng)can contribute to this debate by filling us  in on their
> research activities in variety seed mutiplication and  distribution.
>
> Regarding the volume of imported rice, its retail price and the
> composite of  our import bill. Remember that rice is not the daily diet
> of a majority of  Gambians. We are all guilty of this misconception
> particularly us city  folks.  The majority of those in rural Gambia do
> not comsume rice on a daily  basis and the rural population that
> consumes the commodity ususally  substitute it for grain whenever it is
> in short supply and/or priced out  their reach - a more often-than-not
> occurance;  So, expect the price to be  relatively high when volume is
> low - 5% of total import.  The other 95% of  the import bill is
> available.  In some budget statements of past, some, if  not all, are
> listed.  Government may wish to revert to including a more  exhaustive
> list in future budget statements which includes but not limited  to
> petroleum products, building materials, cigaretts, other tobacco
> products, alcohol, motor vehicles and the like. These luxury items have
> been  increasingly dominating the list of imports. Serious thought
> should given to  the demand for these 'non-essential' items by
> increasing import duties and  'sin' taxes.
>
> Finally, the crop yield figures attributed to the CRD Agric.
> coordinator of  5,000 tonnes of rice per hecter seem high.  This figure
> compares better than  the highest yield ever recorded in the first
> years of the Jahally-Patcharr  in the early 80s when the irrigation
> infrastructure, research and extension  services were artificially
> sustained by heavy investment of ADB and other  donor funds.  We all
> know the story: as soon as the external funds dried up,  neither
> government nor farmers could provide even gas oil to run and  maintain
> the system, much more meet the salaries of international-recruited
> expatriate staff. In short, assuming that the coordinator's figures are
> correct, I am willing to go out on the limb to predict that in the long
> run  the 5,000 tonnes per hector is an unsustainable figure.
>
> Sidi Sanneh
>
> Note: I saw BambaLaye's comments on the recently-introducted Cash
> Managaement System and Jabou's rejoinder- both raising pertinent issues
>  which can be summaried in two words - fiscal discipline.  This, in so
> many  words, is Famara Jatta's central message in his 2003 budget
> statement as  outlined in paragraphs 4 and 5 of Chapetr XV of the
> Budget. The big question  is whether there is the political will to put
> the breaks on wanton,  unprogrammed and reckless expenditure during
> these 'hard times'. Only time  will tell.
>
> * Slight correction made in this version.

page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=

> http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-
bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)