GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:41:05 -0400
Dear Matarr,
Politics in Africa is different from what obtains in the West.  The ugly
face of african politics has begun to show its ugly face in Cote d'Ivoire.
The art of compromise is woefully lacking as politicians go there merry way
of personalising it at the expense of the ordinary person on the street.
They bear, eventually, the brunt of the violence that inevitably ensue and
are turned into refugees over night.

The Ivory Coast situation has been deteriorating steadily in the last
several years and the last two days has been the worst it has ever been.
as reported elsewhere, the violence has now turned ugly with religious and
ethnic overtone. I have just been informed that General Mathias Doua, the
form
er number two (who is the subject of one of my stories), is reported to
be mediating between Ouattara and Gbagbo.  He commands enough respect from
the army and many political factions to perhaps make a difference.

We are however keeping our heads low as reports reaching me suggests that
the Gbagbo supporters are targetting foreigners in the streets. I would
like to point out that the attacks I reported earlier were not restricted
to mosques alone. The Ouattara supporters were also reported to be
attacking churches. A very sad development indeed.

Sidi Sanneh