GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:51:44 +0000
Mr Gassama
A well argued and thought-out piece, but as I wrote the other day, what it
all comes down to in the end is PERCEPTION.
Why, one may ask:
Reason: -
Well, reading your piece one cannot fail to clearly notice that you have
categorised GambiaLers into two distinct groups: -
an "everything or nothing group" or it's opposite (if this in fact is not an
over-simplification on my side). Again, this is my perception, perhaps am wrong
in coming to this conclusion, but this is a categorisation (as you might have
already realised) that you perceived, for I have never read anyone sent in a
post with these lines of division boldly etched in the sand or cast iron for
that matter.

"Some of us choose to debate without engaging in histrionics because at the end
of the day this is just Gambia-l, a bantaba or spot in cyberspace where we come
to exchange ideas and learn from each other. For some, the taking of prisoners
is not an option but that is their right. For others however, human relations
come into play....."
Again, would you agree with me that this is a PERCEPTION??

Your piece was a very refreshing read, as there was no personalisation of the
arguments. There is a danger that personalising issues makes otherwise
important issues trivialised. Notwithstanding that though, I would like to take
up a few issues with you. This being your allusion that the GambiaL is just a
talking shop and as such does not play much in the democratisation process back
home. I'd like to differ.

I think the GambiaL is machinery and tool, which any serious Gambian politician
will ignore at his/her own peril, for after all; the subscribers are a part and
parcel of what makes the Gambia. This fact is not lost on even Jammeh and his
government, for we would not otherwise have the "spasticated" statehouse media
spin doctors subscribed, (not to mention the various unofficial mouthpieces)
taking part in debates when there is clearly a political advantage to be gained
in engaging us, or as it is often the case, just to send in a whole lotta
crappy propaganda.

The other issue being that, though meeting and knowing people through GambiaL
is important, it is not an overriding factor (it is not and should not be an
overriding factor). I am here to chip in my penny now and then when I think I
need to, but I really cannot give a toss if I make friends or foes in the
process. If someone send in something that i agree with, then I think, "well am
not the only person that thinks along this lines afterall", but would that mean
that he/she becomes my new found buddy, NOPE. If we think along those lines
then inevitably there will be this danger of one worrying about how he/she will
be perceived if he/she writes her piece on vital national matters, so he/she
may decide to keep mute in order not to offend a mate/family member. This, we
will have to rise above, as it is politically naive and unwise.

It's all about perception, and with that I say thank you and good day to
all.

Regards
Dave Manneh