GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:25:20 -0500
President Yahya Jammeh
Mr. Sheriff M. Dibba

It has been said in political circles that national interest
rises above individual interest.  Those of us who have accepted
an APRC/NCP coalition are bound to protect the rights of Gambians,
irrespective of their political pronouncements.  I joined this
marriage with the full understanding that I have been a vocal
critic of the APRC government.  With an ideal situation for a
sustainable growth of political wisdom, I chose to take a risky
approach in a conceptual view of Gambian politics.  I entrust a
value system seen in its entirety as a solution  in the long run.
We must objectively value our approach in a kinder and gentler way.

As we approach the end of Ramadan, the celebration of Christmas and
the birth of a new Year, I am appealing that the new APRC/NCP
government embraces politics of tolerance and acceptance.  The
Gambian country cannot go through a period of political arrogance
and denial of rights to citizens.  The opposition in totality has a
vital role to play in the development of The Gambia.  The opposition
must therefore be seen as an asset, and not a liability.

Reading the lists of fired employees, I was forced to analyze the value
of nation building and the danger The Gambia is positioned, relative
to the rights of The Gambian civil service.  Development will be
hindered if the government continues to dismiss Gambian civil servants
because they have been rumored to be opposition supporters.  How can
the government recruit Gambians who are not willing to work with the
government because of constant dismissals and arrests?  There must
be a way to end these situations.

I advocate that the government sets a Department of Administration
that can cater to the rights of The Gambian civil servants.  The
executive branch should excuse itself in the function of the civil
service.  Rules of conduct should be established.  Civil servants
should have the right to free association, as long as those rights
do not infringe in the function of their respective responsibilities.

The Government should embrace a kinder and gentler approach in dealing
with the citizens of The Gambia.  The NIA should have a limited role
in the arrest of Gambians.  There should be proper procedures in
place, in which the Gambia police should be entrusted in protecting
Gambian citizens.

Those of us who have embraced this marriage, are forced to evaluate
the continuous detention and dismissal of Gambians.  National
development cannot take place when Gambians are dismissed and detained
continuously.

My endorsement of the APRC/NCP marriage must not be seen a a blanket
endorsement.  I value democracy so deeply that I cannot see my fellow
Gambians denied the right to political decency.  My heart really
went out to Ms Joof, a former employee of The Gambia Customs.  I
wonder, with limited jobs in The Gambia, how can this lady bring
food to her family's table?  The APRC/NCP government must be
tolerant and embrace political inclusion of all Gambians.  I welcome
any criticsm of endorsing this marriage, but I will jump for joy when
the likes of Ms Joof are restored.  Our sacrifice for political
engagement is confined in our inner capacity of protecting every
Gambian.

My acceptance of this new found relationship is set with a trial
period.  I have the belief that you two gentlemen are sincere in
your words and deeds.  There should be an end to inconsistencies.
Gambians should be able to define themselves.

So I am appealing that we accept democracy in its face value.  I am
willing to give this marriage a chance, but I will opt out of this
marriange if Gambians are denied the right to political decency.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency

http://mail2web.com/ .