GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:15:26 EDT
Harona:
No language used is too strong to condemn this barbarous practice. Gambians by nature sometimes tend to be too hush hush about certain practices/issues that affect us negatively.  Many on this forum have condemned this "laissez faire" attitude as something that constantly holds us back.  We need to change this mentality.

In fact, I believe that, not only should we condemn this practice is the harshest and most graphic terms possible, but it is necessary to completely ban FGM immediately.  The second step would be to make the resources educational resources and outlets available to these young women so that they can report the parents and traditional doctors who continue to practice FGM.  If Senegal can ban FGM, why not The Gambia?

I strongly condemn this attitude that does not allow us to speak out or express alternate views  without being strongly condemned.  This "laissez faire" attitude has put us in awfully difficult situations and, as a result, we should encourage a more progressive mentality that allows us as a people to be more expressive of our views so that we can deal with situations that adversely affect us.